+ Reply to Thread

Thread: splake

Default splake

Tere is a lake very close to my cottage called round lake and apparantly in early spring they are shallow enough to fish for with a fly.I've never fished for then but plan to in a week or so. Does anyone know any flies,tricks or techniques to catching them?
    They are a lake trout/brook trout hybrid.

------------------
    tight lines, and taught thread

In the area I live (around Spokane Washington) the Lake Trout are sometimes called Macinaws. If it is the same fish, I know that right after ice-out, they cruise close to the surface feeding on kokanee. If you had a big streamer or a white or dun colored wooly bugger, you might have some luck stripping your fly in fast near where those brutes roll on the surface. Best of luck. Let us know. OK?

------------------
    A free gift waits for those who ask.
    -----------------
    Lotech Joe

thanks for the help. Ill make sure to let you guys know how i do. That is one hell of a fish!
    thanks again, mikey

------------------
    tight lines, and taught thread

by what I understand they are more like the brook trout than the lake trout except they get large like the lake trout.

So you should fish them like you would any brook trout

[url=http://www.maineflyfish.com:3975d]www.maineflyfish.com[/url:3975d]

From what the local Game & Fish tell me, the Splake are breed here in the hatcheries to be used as lake cleaners, to control what they call trash fish, suckers and such.

They also tell me they are sterile so can't reproduce on their own.

------------------
    Wyo-blizzard
    Wyo-Blizzard

+ Reply to Thread