These are my two passions, and while some fly fishers claim that they are incompatible, I think they are very similar.
Though fly fishing is not as apt to ruin a good walk as Mark Twain surmised.
If you look at the posts on flyfishing boards you will not some incredible similarities between golf and fly fishing.
1. People practice.
2. Accuracy is key to success and both inlude distance and direction for both activities.
3. It is entirely gear driven as the wholly infatuated cannot get enough gear (I personally own 7 rods and 7 putters, as if either will improve my "games").
4. If the gear has a golf or fly fishing logo on it, the price is doubled (Orvis/ CutterBuck).
5. Both are games that require concentration, but is still oftentimes more fun with others.
6. The euphoric highs of success and lows of mistakes is very similar.
7. And lastly, because the activitiy is essentially a contest to improve against one's self it is wholly addictive and exciting.
As for Mickelson's two drivers, I was led to believe that the second driver is more like a 2 wood, which makes sense. I am amazed with the skills of pro golfers, but the announcers get so focused on the minutiae, like equipment that I find the announcers kind of silly sometimes.