+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Golf and Fly fishing

Please, not another WalMart thread.

Cheweydog- Better to be American and complain about an American comapny or to to be Chinese or Russian and complain we can't speak the language and ..hey...at least at WalMart a greeter makes me welcome, and yes they have some off shore goods, but at leas t I am treated like an Ameridcan and i get a value for my buck. For what ever it is worth , PS: we can help. Jonezee of Michigan

[This message has been edited by Jonezee (edited 18 April 2006).]

Chewydog

I agree, they are not equivalent, but the story was that those two activities were supposedly the most expensive personal activities that were practiced in the U.S. I guess with most personal sports (tennis, running, biking,...) there are not that many multiple costs after the original investment. I could see the point that the story was making from my own view. I have one set of clubs, but I still spend money on the green fees every time I play. I seem to keep buying rods, flies, tying supplies.... every year.

I hadn't considered the cost of a golf vacation. When I go on vacation, I usually manage to play a round, but I have never considered it a "golf trip" like I consider a fishing trip as a fishing vacation.

Of course if you consider the cost of a club membership into the equation, it gets really onesided!

------------------

Jonzee
    Sorry, just seems that lately every other thread gets hijacked into a bash walmart topic.
    Soup
    Yeah, if you included the club membership you may as well compare it to the "I own a lear jet" society. lol

I live five miles from Loch Leven and about thirty-five from the Old Course at St Andrews.
    Luckily I fly fish and don't play golf so I do not have that long trauchle to St Andrews.
    At least that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

------------------
    Donald/Scotland
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Blog Entries

Let's see, a golf course uses, what, an acre-foot of water per day to keep the grass green? 350 acre-feet per year down there in the desert, where water is scarce. Would I rather have the water in the stream for the fish and wildlife, or turned into a quarter-inch of green desert? I'll have to think about that.

I play golf and fly fish and enjoy both. But if one had to go, it would be golf. Neither one provide me with any kind of spiritual experience. Both allow me to enjoy God's creation. Although I am more in tune with it when I am holding a fly rod as opposed to a 5 iron.

I play golf with friends, but for the most part fly fish alone.

------------------
    Every fly fisherman has an unreasonable view of fly rods, and I am no different. Thomas McGuane

Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anquish. Prov 31:6
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

+ Reply to Thread