Hi. Yes youv read correctly- a Lure Even though I love tying flies, I have invented a fabulous new fishing lure for spinning, casting and trolling. Really! I have been around long enough to know that what I have invented is novel, new and a winner. 100% I have done the "Prior Art" searches on similar lures and even looked way back into patents from the late 1800's and early 1900's. Mine is different. It really attracts fish and performs outstandingly.

I have something different and very effective to offer and I am excited about it. To qualify that statement, I have a half dozen USA and foriegn patents in my name and have been through that process many more times. I have also gleaned most of the fishing supplier's catalogs, magazines, manufacturer's websites and perused the sporting goods stores as well. I do really feel that I have something new here.

However, I also know that patents are very expensive to prosecute and horribly difficult to enforce. Especially hard to enforce them in this day and age when offshore counterfeited goods are common practice.

So here is where I need advice please:

Should I start a lure company at my ripe old age? Not too smart I think. So should I approach an American Lure Mnufacturer such as Luhr Jenson (since I live in the USA) and try to cut a deal for royalties etc? Or should I go to a huge Brick & Mortar such as Gander's or Cabela's and have them brand it and sell it and take a cut or a lump sum up front?

I know the big mail order houses sell a lot of branded lures. If the lures were made by a Lure Company, then they might be sold in lots of different stores and therefore generate more royalties over the long run. Every store sells Crocs and Needlefish and daredevilks and Flatfish etc.

Who sells more lures-K-Mart or Cabelas?

What would you do if you thought you had a great new lure? Whom would you contact? How would you approach it?

Any real contacts appreciated too.

Lastly- No I am not ging to post a picture of this lure here. Yet....

Thanks,
Rich