Since there was broken glass most likely the perp was young and new to the game. The sound of breaking glass is not a sound most theives like to make. The sound of breaking glass attracts to much attention unless way out in the woods. As example a dropped pot of soup in the middle of a restrant will attract a few dinners attention but a broken wine glass in the back room will get every head to turn. I have seen this first hand by dropping a pot of soup all over me at the salad bar and no one even noticed and yet later the sound of a broken wine glass back in the cooler 100 yards from the diners got almost every one attention. Most theives with any experince or that have done time would rather break down a door or pry open a window rather then break glass to get in to a house.
As stated always make you homes and cars as hard to break into as possible. Good locks on the doors and windows and even better some type of alarm or camera system will send most theives down the road.
Home- deadbolts on all outside doors.
Lots of lighting in the yard
Screw down clamp locks for all the windows
Put your lights on timers inside for when you are gone
An alarm if you can afford it or at least a sticker saying you have an alarm.
Either real or fake camera's do not hurt
Rentors or home owner insurance just in case
Car or truck
Lock it every time and leave nothing in plain sight.
Stering wheel lock
On stick shifts padlock the brake to the clutch.
Put screw on home style window locks on the trucks slider window. Cost for these are only $2-$3 per pair so cheap insurance.
Car alarm if you want. I feel most give to many flase alarms.
Fuel shut of switch hidden in hard to find area.
This is advice I have learned after 17 years in the hardware industry and after getting ripped of myself a time or two.
This past year I have had two attempted break in but with the above they did not get in. The window in my kitchen was the place they tried to get through both times. We came home to the top of the window slightly ajar but the inexpensive window chanle locks in the bottom track stopped them both times.