+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Topic

Default Another Topic

I live in Pennsylvania and have traveled to over 42 other states and fished in many of them. Here is the question, what is your favorite vacation/fishing state?

Of all the states I visited MONTANA tops the list. If I would have visited there when I was in my 20's that is where I would have stayed.

ALASKA - Words cannot express the wonderful experience's I have had there over the years.

Colorado- I had never seen mountains. I walked around with my mouth open like Gomer Pyle in the big city. My family and I fished the Tomahawk wildlife area on the South Platte. One range of mtns. on one side another range on the other and a beautiful stream running between. Helped my son land a 17" brown on a hole I'd worked with no success for 5 minutes on his first cast. The experience is etched in my memory like it happened yesterday.

------------------
    "Illegitimus nil Carborundum"

Pennsylvania.

Montana. My first trip there, driving out from Michigan with JC and the couple who stood up for us when we married, was just amazing. Driving through clouds? Unreal.
    I cried when we first saw Paradise Valley near Livingston. I cried again a year later same place, when we moved there.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

So far, Colorado. But that statement is made with limited experience. I'm looking forward to trying my luck in many other locations.
    CJ

------------------
    The only limitations we have are the ones we put on ourselves.

As was mentioned earlier, there aren't very many places in this choice land that doesn't have it's own charm and appeal. I think "home court" has a lot to do with what is favorite, but not always. I lived in So. California for a couple of years, and couldn't escape back to Idaho fast enough. Yet California has some exquisite country. I've heard it said that you can find anything you want in California, and I think it's at least close to true. One of my friends entertained his bro-in-law and family from Alaska, for a week, and took them to Jackson Hole. It's been described as one of the most beautiful places on earth. When he asked him what he thought of the Tetons, he said "Hmmmmmmn. Cute." I've seen a small portion of Alaska, and if the rest of it is like what I saw, then I can see why he thought the Tetons were "cute". Alaska is great (expensive) dark in the winter. California is tremendous, (crowded) expensive. Wyoming is fantastic (no malls) no big city life. Idaho is super, (cold winters) not fair to badmouth my own state. Oregon is enchanting (lots of rain) lots of people. Washington is (Ask Ladyfisher, she wouldn't live in a bad place). Montana, Utah, Nevada, etc. They all have great stuff in them. That's where most of my travels have taken me.

What I'm trying to say here, is: The grass may look greener elsewhere, but it doesn't matter where we're at in this country, there's something great, usually right at our feet. We're certainly a blessed people to live here, and I hope that we have the fortitude to strive to keep it so.

[This message has been edited by Lew (edited 16 March 2006).]
    They're just fish, right? Right?

LOL Montana would be my favorite but since I live here I dont know if that counts. You can see some of the scenery I get to see while fishing by following the link in my profile and you know MT is #1 in my book . If not then Idaho is my 2nd favorite because of one river...the Selway

Edit: I have many memories of my first stint in MT back in the early 1990's, but like LF said, Paradise Valley is really something special. I still remember my first drive through there vividly and though I wasnt as moved as LF, it definitely left a great lasting impression. The scenery is spectacular and by the way the fishing isnt too bad either LOL

------------------
    Take care everyone and cya around. Mark

[This message has been edited by MarkKillam (edited 16 March 2006).]
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

Coach - have you ever spent winter in some of those greener pasture states? Like you, I have traveled to the other states - all 50 of them plus Puerto Rico, Guam. I have even ffished many of them.

Much as I love MT, the Rockies in general and the Far West in summer and fall, right here in PA is where I can ffish, even with a dry fly, every day of the the year if I feel like it. I'm on PA trout water a few days every month of the year.

Now that I'm retired, I can live anywhere I want, but I'm staying here and visiting the greener pastures (in season).

tl
    les

Guys I to plan to stay in Pennsylvania but I love to travel. I have other places that come close to Montana and actually most states have something that I enjoyed.

I agree that I haven't experienced Alaska yet so the Montana thing might change. I did work in Yellowstone one summer and fished Idaho, Wyoming (those Tetons, WOW),and of course Montana's Blue Ribbons.

Just wanted to post a site that would get us off of thinking about work and what was out there to explore with that fly rod!

I enjoy all the comments and agree with the ones that I visited. Lord willing, I will have many other places to visit.

+ Reply to Thread