+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: So what do you do?

Default So what do you do?

A followup from the Handle/signature thread, (Andr? posted the same thread on Dennis' this morning). [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum13/HTML/000809.html:477ce]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum13/HTML/000809.html[/url:477ce]

So what do you do to pay for your fishing

Most of you know I'm a forester (who only gets into the wood about 5-6 times per year now for the job). I worked on many forest management information systems and now I manage some public lands up here for a large building products company.

I guide part time on weekends and holidays to pay for toys.

Volunteering for some other groups takes up the rest of the time.

How 'bout you??

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    http://fishingthestemarguerite.googlepages.com/home

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 21 December 2005).]
    Last edited by fcch; 04-20-2008 at 02:31 PM. Reason: corrected web site home
    Christopher Chin

I am in school. I did own a business for a long time and have been fly fishing for over 25 years, which means 25 years of collecting. My newest rod/ reel is 5 years old, and I don't think I have bought material other than hooks for 5 years. As for the actual fishing, I live on a fantastic river in Montana, so my fishing trips are nothing more than a short walk from my house (biggest fish within 100 yards of the house is 4 lb brown). I would say that I am living the dream, but I would also say that because everything is so accessible, I do not fish as much as I once did. I guess what I am saying is that as flyfishing has become more expensive, I have thankfully missed most of the increased expenses and remain a cheapskate.

I started out working construction when I was in school. I'm now a Project Manager for a engineering consulting firm.
    I live on one of VAs tidal rivers and do most of my fishing there but grew up fishing the mountain rivers/streams for trout and smallies. Been flinging flies since I was about 8, got more serious at about 17 and have really gotten into it over the last 2 years or so.

------------------
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW-What a Ride!"
    Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

I'm retired Navy. Ran a Navy Sailing marina
    for 7 years after getting out. Got my 100
    ton captains license while there, then went
    on seagoing tugs for 10 years. Now I work
    part time for the county as Paddle Trails
    Coordinator. I pretty much get to set my
    own schedule and priorities. It's one of
    those recreational niche jobs that you would
    do without the paycheck, but it does make it
    all the sweeter.*G* Warm regards, Jim

I work on high voltage equipment. In the winter I am in the shop repairing elctronic controls that operate big breakers in power substations. In the summer, I travel to different electric cooperatives around the midwest and test, maintain, and repair the breakers (really called reclosers) in the customer's substations.

I work around a lot of dangerous voltage, but I like the work and the travel takes me near some decent fishing.

Network Manager for a large regional heavy civil contractor. [url=http://www.wilderconstruction.com/:d028f]http://www.wilderconstruction.com/[/url:d028f]
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Well, born and raised in SW Wyoming, 1st thru 6th grade at Powder Wash camp on the Wyo.-Colo. border. 7th and 8th at Hiawatha camp, I was the only student in my junior high!
    Neither camp exists anymore, automation.

Am an oilfield brat, Mt, Fuel Co. which is now Questar, is whom my Dad worked for.
    Moved to Rock Springs in '66' to start high school, '70' graduate.
    Worked construction for two years, started with FMC corp. in '72' and have been here ever since.

Married into a ranching family in '74' which just helped to feed my need to be OUTDOORS!!

My job is controlroom operator, official title is Chief Power Operator, so I don't get outside very often except on days off which makes these 12 hr. shifts nice, get more days of to play!!

Am very fortunate to have a wife who indulges my desire for camping and any thing out of doors, she has the same needs, just doesn't fish or hunt. She picked the tent we use for camping, and we share the cooking duties when out.

Also am within an hour, no more than two, of some of the best trout fishing around. Just haven't figured out Flaming Gorge Reservoir yet. It has some nice small mouth bass in it, I just can't seem to catch anything when I'm on it!!

Do volunteer work, Hunters Ed. instructor, also Knights of Columbus, MR. Santa Clause, am pretty busy this time of year, and the wife and I am constantly documenting any birds of prey, Hawks, Eagles, etc. we see for the BLM bird surveys we got involved in twenty years ago. Yea, a ranching family working with the BLM, surprises the wife also. It is also another excuse to be OUT in the wild. The wife gets very jealous when I can go during the week, she teaches sixth grade at Holy Spirit Catholic School so only has weekends and the summer to play.

As of April of 2007, finally figured the Gorge out! Not fly fishing, but actually have caught some fish in the darn place!

Work some overtime now and again to pay for toys and trips.

------------------
    Wyo-blizzard aka Bloody Tom Bonney

[This message has been edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff (edited 21 December 2005).]
    Last edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff; 04-20-2008 at 02:18 AM. Reason: update
    Wyo-Blizzard

I am a 100% service connected disabled ex-USAF vet and living on a fixed income. I've learned to make do with as little as I need so I can afford what I need to fish with. I belong to at least 3 different clubs and am the active president of one of them. My fly rods are nothing fancy but they are mine and I enjoy fishing with every one of them. My "home" waters is the Little Red River which is about a 45 mile drive from where I live. I travel to my parents at least twice a year to fish waters where I grew up too many years ago and I meet with a FAOL board member and we fish together as often as possible when I am there.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

I spent 20 years in the military and now am a manager at the local Lowe's HIW. Working retail means I get precious few weekends off, but that's OK because the lakes and the one trout stream close to me are all but deserted during the week.

------------------
    Clint

I feel closer to HIM when I'm fishing.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

I am a low voltage electrical systems designer. Fire alarm, intrusion alarm, access control, PA, intercoms, data network infrastructure, phone systems, audio and video system, television, and the list goes on. I work at an engineering firm that produces contract drawings and specifications for the construction of building. Hospitals, schools, institutional buildings and such. I love that I get paid to draw, and the systems are really neat to see perform at the end of a job. I still feel really lucky when I get a paycheck every two weeks. So I have accomplished my high school goal; to get paid to ski, fish, and draw! I have guided, as a ski racing coach in the winter, and now draw systems desings for a living.

Have fun, Jeff

------------------
    Tis my time on the water, in the mountains, and in my driftboat where I can see things as they really are.

+ Reply to Thread