+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OLN Fly fishing show

Default OLN Fly fishing show

Wife broke down and we now have cable. I saw a program earlier in the week with Norman Mclean's son.
    Why does his father's book and subsaquent movie have a negative reputation in the fly fishing community? I still find some of the dialog almost poetic, especially the last line "I am haunted by Waters". Anyone who has a fishing relationship with a parent or a child understands that diferences can disappear while sharing a passion. Maybe I read to much into the story ,but it's still one of my favorites.

------------------
    "Illegitimus nil Carborundum"

"Why does his father's book and subsaquent movie have a negative reputation in the fly fishing community?"

Because the folks that were flyfishermen before the movie came out felt that the movie enticed a overbearing crowd of people that weren't in the hobby for the right reasons (whatever those people defined as the "right reasons").

It also, to a lesser extent, resulted in equipment prices getting jacked up due to the increased demand.

It's not the movie itself that people are peeved about... it's the increase in popularity and how it affected their own fishing.

Hey Coach,,,

Just did a quick Google on Mclean; it seems that fly fishing saw a tremendous increase for the five years following the movie. As Hex has stated, probably for all the wrong reasons. And, as you can see, that's when the industry piled on for profit and prices increased.

The problem would seem to be the coversion of bait and spin'ers to fly. Take the worst mouth breathing, beer guzzling bass angler you know, show him the movie than give him a fly rod....
    This is not condescending as for 25 years I were one! Now, I despise the sight of them. Ripping and tearing, throwing back dead fish after weigh-in, trash and debris everywhere...

For the most part, there is a respect for the wildlife (fish), the environment and its preservation; it's a way of life, not just a weekend away from the landfill. I go ballistic when I see the previously described activity and I do something about it. Yeh, you're all right when you say fly fishing is an obsession!

That might be it Coach; or, it could be the old man's cold, lofty and haughty attitude. But, that's better left to the book club!

Jim

I've stated here in the past I fished one Bass tournament with a friend, afterwhich I told him I loved him like a brother ,but would never do that again. It was to much like work. I prefer a canoe, or belly boat to 225HP Ranger bass boat that can go 60 mph.
    Like I said maybe I read more into the book than I should have.I thought it was more about relationships, connections, and love than fly fishing. The fact that he wrote it at age 70 is also interesting.
    In the grand scheme of things maybe we all have made this a lot mor complicated. In the words of Tom Nuebauer from the PBS show Outdoor Wisconsin "there are 3 things you really need to know aboout fishing is "1. fish are dumb. 2. Fish eat when hungry or provoked. 3. Fish are dumb.Please note tongue in cheek.

I agree with Coach Robb. For my money Norman McClean is an extraordinary writer, and not just ARRTI and other stories [although a couple of the "other stories" are hilarious]. "Young men and Fire" is an absolutely chilling read by a talented writer truly obsessed by the Mann Gulch tragedy.

I'll even assert that Redford made an excellent movie from the short story.

Cold, lofty, haughty attitude? I'm not sure we read the same short story, Jim.

the sad thing is the book and movie have nothing at all to do with fly fishing except as a vehicle to move the story along in some places. the book is about dysfunction and that's why a river runs through it became an american classic
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Wes, Not sure I agree with yopur assessment about the movie and book having nothing to do about flyfishing (thats your opinion and you are entitled to it). I will agree with your statement that the book is a classic. I think the flyfishing aspect of both shows the common grounds that everyone in the family had despite the different paths that they each take. These common grounds bring the family together despite their vast differences.

As for why the movie and book have the reputation they have in the flyfishing community...I wont go there but I do have my opinions.

------------------
    Take care everyone and cya around. Mark
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

I always wondered why Pfhleger never brought back a round agate guide reproduction Medalist? I'm glad they didn't, we would be knee deep in them by now. It is obvious, "The Movie" didn't set back fly fishing in general, just fly fishing for a few. It will be a long time before another movie like it makes the big time. I own it, I watch it. About once a year, to shake off the cowwebs in the winter and long for hot sunny days with mayflies landing on my shoulder.

------------------
    I learn more about the world while talking to myself when fishing alone

I thought the movie was great the book was even better. Being brought up in a family that pursued trout above bass gave me an edge getting into fly fishing.I think fly fishing is a natural progression where the opportunity is available .Had I been brought up in the south I'm sure i would have cut my teeth on catfish and bass .Great sport to be had and I probably would own a bass boat rather than a deep v trolling boat commonly used in the Finger Lakes of New York.This said our friends that bass fish have contributed 100 fold the money in conservation and advancement of technology in rods ,reels, and lines .While there is slobs in any sport or walk of life to condemn all for a few is just plane wrong .What gives one group the right to say they are better or have more rights because they have been at it longer?Some of the stuff in this post is borderline "flaming "I could not imagine this from such a "conservative well adjusted bunch of people."A persons reason for starting to fly fish is there business who are we to look down our nose at someone else or blame it on a book... a movie...Seems to me theres allot of people pretty full of themselves out there.

------------------
    The more time I spend around people the more I like my dog.

Mike

What are and are not the "right" reasons? When I was growing up I wanted to do something beyond the cane pole, and I'm not talking fly rod "cane." My mother, the inspiration of my love for fishing, got me a "new fangled" bait casting rod and reel, but man, talk about messes. I was bequeathed a metal fly rod and got my first "fly" - a fly rod Hula Popper. I was about 10 or 12, and a whole new world opened up. This was about 1954-55. My fly rod led to Herters, and Herters to fly tying, and fly tying to flies like wooly buggers and streamers and things really did become different. This, of course, led to fiberglasss rods . . . and on and on. Did I get into it for the right reasons? If someone's inspiration was a book or movie, is that a wrong reason? As long as someone can learn and appreciate the beauty of this sport how can any muse be considered a wrong reason. JGW

[This message has been edited by white43 (edited 12 March 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread