+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Favorite Camping Receipe

Blog Entries

Only a fool eats the green hash.
    -- Pat McManus

This thread brings back a happy memory of when my #2 son was in Cub Scouts and we went on an overnight campout with them.

We had a Chevy station wagon at the time, so I put a regular bed mattress in the back with sheets, blankets and pillows. I packed a fondue pot with a can of sterno, a big can of Dinty Moore beef stew, some water and some instant oatmeal and instant hot chocolate.

As the other Dads pitched tents, we explored the camp vicinity. As they built fires and cooked dinners of varying quality, we sat on the tailgate listening to Prairie Home Companion. My son looked at me with great admiration and said, "Gosh, Dad, I didn't know you were such a great chef in the woods!" As the others crawled out of their tents stiff and sore and tried to cook up some breakfast, we enjoyed out maple flavored instant oatmeal and hot chocolate.

I was the Cubmaster at the time and actually caught some flak from the other Dad's about not setting a good example for my son and the other kids. My response: "What's wrong with showing them that, with a little advance planning and ingenuity, you can sleep and eat well out here?"

One of my favorites from "days gone by" is that of roast beef wrapped in bacon, smothered in mushroom soup, season if so desired, wrap in aluminum foil, totally surround with hot bed of wood coals. Give it an hour to slow cook. Also a cobbler prepared in a cast iron dutch oven is a winner. Plain ole bisquick with some cinimon/nutmeg. Pour the dough in the bottom, the fruit of choice on top, cover with lid, place onto bed of coals and cover the lid with coals. Depending on the type of wood coals (some hotter than others) recheck in 20 - 30 minutes. Now a-days we do campfire pizza. Pizza Hut can't compete. Refrigerated pizza dough, spread out on rack that would be used for soft fleshed meats or vegies. Spray the rack first. Cook the dough lightly on both sides (turn it over) sauce of choice, cheeses, and toppings as desired. Have turned many a head while camping. "Mommy, they're eating pizza!" Not bad for breakfast either.

------------------
    Live each day as if it were your last, some day you'll be right!
    Eternal decisions can only be made on this side of eternity.

+ Reply to Thread