+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had my MRI today.....

nighthawk Guest

Default Had my MRI today.....

...and I am now going to the orthopedic surgeon to discuss treatment for my knee. We didn't know if I would be able to have the MRI due to microscopic metal fragments in my eyes and orbital area of the skull. These came from working in my dad's welding shop without a face shield while welding and grinding. Those of you that do welding and or grinding please take note. I always wore safety glasses but should have been wearing a shield as well. I had to have orbital x-rays to clear me for the MRI.

I cannot thank all of you enough for your prayers, well wishes and support. You are the wind beneath my wings. I also took the advice on the glucosamine and it's helping.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

American veteran and proud of it!

Glad to hear it, Eric. Good luck with the next stage.

What's wrong with your knee? I tore my ACL and meniscus while skiing. I used to compete freestyle moguls. I tore almost all the tendons a couple of years later while snowboarding. I tore my patella tendon even, my kneecap was on top of my thigh for a while. I don't even have an ACL right now and I intend to live without one until it starts bothering me. Good luck with your recovery. It's the high cost of having fun. Do your physical therapy!!!

nighthawk Guest

oldfrat,
    Thank you. If you could see me now I am grinning from ear to ear. I am thinking of Al Campbell and my unintentional, incorrect spelling of your screen name. Like Red Skelton used to say, "It's good to laugh".

Ohiotuber,
    Thank you for your call tonight. It was so good to talk to you. You are the salt of the earth.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

nighthawk Guest

Benjo,
    Ouch!! That has to hurt like heck!

The original injury happened in 1985 when I was in the U.S. Army Air Cavalry. I fell off of the side of my helicopter while performing an inspection one day. My left foot hung up in the kick step trap door on the side of the helicopter. That hyper extended and twisted the knee. Add to that all of the years of ruinning on hardened surfaces, working on concrete and climbing mountains while hunting and fishing. I now have popping and grinding with a loss of lateral stability. Doc thinks there is at least some cartlidge damage and bone on bone in there. The orthopedic surgeon will determine the treatment for me but I have been warned that I could be looking at a knee repalcement.

Thank you for your wishes. They help. I will perform therapy and I can't wait to be able to go for a hike on my favorite trails.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

[This message has been edited by nighthawk (edited 28 February 2006).]

Remember, the VFW and the American Legion is there for us and our families. Please don't hesitate to belong and oblige your fellow veterans. I don't know what my wife and I would do with out the Posts and the support from out fellow veterans. I work the American Legion breakfast here in our small village the first Sunday of every month. What I give is return many times to us. I am a Vietnam Vet and I am glad to see new vets join from todays conflicts. SUPPORT OUR TROOPS, Jonezee

Eric;
    Glad to see your spirits up! I'm looking forward to exchanging lie's with you in August. We could even rent a canoe or 2 at PaddleBrave and work our way up to Joe Spray's place on the South Branch.
    The glucosamine does work. I've been taking it for a year just because the joints are getting old.

Eric,

Suffered with an old football injury to my right knee for about 42 years. Never had surgery on the initial injury when I was 18. Fell straight down on rocks while I was trouting about three years ago and finally finished off the knee. Couldn't put any weight on it or bend it next morn when I woke up abou 4:00 am with a three times normal knee! Ortho doc first tried a shot into the knee after I told him it wouldn't work etc. Took me six weeks to get them to agree and finally got another ortho doc to check me out. he said he'd just come back from a conference and learned a new method of treating an injury like mine and thet he'd done three of the operations so far and they all worked fine. Asked my alternative and was told it would involve two of everything: operations, recovery time, double bills etc, a $1,000.00 just for the container to harvest goodies from my knee, send it off, grow it and receive it back etc., you get the idea. Anyway, the new procedure consisted of cleaning up the junk that had been floating around the knee for those 42 years and something that he described as "wounding the bone" and regrowth of cartilage etc. Saw color photos of knee later and it was a mess. Artheritis had eaten all the cartilage up and down both knee bones and it had been bone on bone for a long time. Long story short: iy was a great success and I've been pain free for the first time in about 42 years with a great range of motion. I was the doc's 4th. success with this operation. Good luck with your course of action.

Eric

You hang in there, after the doctor releases you for fishing come on down. The water will be good for the knee. Warm salty water is good for anything that is wrong with the body. I get out when I can and just sit and breathe the salt air. Sure makes me feel better. But I think any water would make me feel better.
    We are praying for you and we will think about you this weekend at the fish-in.

Harold

Hey Eric,
    Sorry to hear that you may need knee replacement. I hope you get one from a guy who didn't do all the "bad" things you did with yours.

Mark
    Oh, "replacement" not" transplant" sorry. What was I thinking??

[This message has been edited by Marco (edited 02 March 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread