+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Bargain.

Default Digital Bargain.

If you've EVER dunked your digital camera you'll appreciate this fantastic bargain. It's from Broadway Photo. Scroll down to the PENTAX OPTIO WPi waterproof 6.36 mp digital camera for $208.00. I bought one from them at $260.00 a few months ago and LOVE it. They WILL try to "pad" your order but just say you already have an extra battery. DO NOT BUY the battery from them ($60.) It's a proprietary battery ( a bit of a drawback) and can be purchased elsewhere for under $30.
    bwayphoto.com The site states a price of $219 BUT it is on clearance at $208 ( ask).

Mark

[This message has been edited by Marco (edited 02 March 2006).]

If you're going to do business with this company, or any internet business, I suggest you go here- [url=http://www.resellerratings.com/:4c66f]http://www.resellerratings.com/[/url:4c66f] -and check out what other consumers have to say.

Broadway Photo goes by several other names and is known among camera enthusiasts as a very shady operation, so buyer beware. The current page on Reseller Ratings for Broadway Photo includes this note: "We detected and disabled 50+ fraudulent "Very Satisfied" reviews for this merchant. Due to the continuous submission of said reviews, we are no longer accepting new reviews for this store as of 1/19/2006."

[This message has been edited by BHP (edited 02 March 2006).]

All that being said ( by you)I ordered the camera I described and received EXACTLY what I ordered in the time that was promised. YOUR contentions are based on hearsay while MINE are on experience.
    I do practice " caveat emptor" and suggest that ALL on line transactions be scrutinized by ALL potential customers.
    I posted this notice in an attempt to HELP fellow FAOLers get a bargain. As I mentioned in my post, they DO tend to want to "pad" the order( common tactic in low priced offerings).
    Based on MY experience with them, all the negative posts MUST be wrong.
    Had I NOT had an extremely favorable experience with them, I would NOT have posted.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

A bit sensitive, aren't we??

Yes, you had a good experience and posted as such. But, the reports on Reseller Ratings aren't "hearsay", they are buyer experiences just like yours, and the vast majority of them are negative WRT Broadway Photo. So, you see, your experience is the exception, not the rule.

You posted about a good deal and somewhat good buying experience from BP (being pressured to buy extra items doesn't rate as an "extremely favorable" transaction to me). I posted that folks considering buying from BP should educate themselves and then decide if they want to risk their money with known shady operator. No, I don't have any buying experience with them because I did my homework and decided to buy from a more reputable outfit.

I...suggest that ALL on line transactions be scrutinized by ALL potential customers.
    Which is exactly what I did with my post, so I fail to see what the problem is.

Hey there BPH,
    While I too appreciate YOUR notice regarding this company, you apparently saw a " problem" in my reply. There was none intended. As for the " pressure" to buy aditional "stuff",I call that salesmanship.
    Having said all that ( by me), in light of YOUR post, I again reiterate " buyer beware" and " there ain't no free lunch" ( double negative noted)
    Mark

------------------

Marco,

Upselling is a legitimate sales tactic. BP requires a "confirmation" call, obstensibly to make sure you actually ordered the item. These calls are really an excuse to try and sell radically overpriced accessories to sometimes unwitting consumers. An example: someone orders a camera, and during the "confirmation call", they are pressured to buy a 512 MB CF memory card. That's a good suggestion, since most cameras come with small memory cards from the factory. A 512 MB CF card is about $40-$50 from Best Buys, Circuit City, or Newegg. From Broadway Photo, a 512 MB CF card is $599!! It's crooked, plain and simple.

BHP,
    Broadway Photo notwithstanding, I would strongly disagree with you that it is "crooked" to price a $50 item at $599. I would rather consider it unwise.

Mark
    PS: Sorry for misspelling your name earlier.

------------------

Hi Folks,

Although conflicting, we have more info
    to work with than we previously had. I
    consider that a good thing. I appreciate
    the info, both pro and con, as I have been
    considering the camera. What I do with the
    info is up to me. Thanks for your input.
    Warm regards, Jim

Jim Hatch.......
    Go for it Jim. I have had mine for over a year now and love it. I'm not saying to buy it from this dealer but that the camera itself is the nuts !!
    FFF Life Member #22

Hey there JC,
    Actually I had no point to "prove". It's just a comment on what was FOR ME at least a real bargain with no problems. And, if I wasn't leaving for beautiful Carmel CA tomorrow, I'd take a chance and buy that camera FOR Jim Hatch just to "prove" something to MYSELF. I'd reship it to him and he'd pay me the invoice amount. If I got stiffed, I'd be out about $225.00. I'm not mr. "got rocks" but I could survive the hit. And in the BEST case scenario, Mr. Hatch would have gotten a great deal on a great camera. Possibly a win-win??
    Mark
    PS: I am NOT kidding about the "offer". I'll be back from California on the 20th. BTW, I first heard of this "deal" from the friend who we're going to visit in Carmel By The Sea. HE didn't get there by being stupid.

+ Reply to Thread