+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for new stove?

Default Recommendations for new stove?

Since we have so many excellent cooks on our boards, I'm asking for a recommendation (or dont buy this one!) on a smooth top range and oven. This would be a slide-in. I've heard you can't use cast iron on them, but my cast iron is all enamal coated. I'm replacing a 20+ year oldie. Has to be electric, no gas here.

Your experience please?

[This message has been edited by LadyFisher (edited 22 February 2006).]

LF, When my wife gets home I'll ask her...we have just replaced one from about the same length of time and I know she fussed over it for a long time.

You might use... [url=http://www.epinions.com:3d5c8]www.epinions.com[/url:3d5c8]

as the name implies they give user evaluations...I'll see if I have any others in my favorites.

[This message has been edited by ducksterman (edited 22 February 2006).]

Can't be of much help since our stove is 31 years old. It is a Sears Kenmore Corning glass top, electric, and is still in great shape. My wife has taken very good care of it and is dreading the day it has to be replaced.

Just had to replace the fridge after 29 years. Yes we do use them frequently but have very good luck with Kenmore, Thank You Lord!

The new fridge is a Hotpoint as it was available to be delivered that day, and was on sale,,lucky??? YES!!

------------------
    Wyo-blizzard aka Bloody Tom Bonney
    Wyo-Blizzard

LadyFisher;
    Just an FYI. The Sear's brand "Kenmore" is made by "Whirlpool" down in Ohio.

LadyFisher,
    Several seasons ago I went out with my bride looking to replace our 22 yr. old drier and ended up with both a drier and this great Kitchen Aid "convection" oven.

Initially Jude didn't want to spend that extra $150 for the convection feature but she got a little "nudge" (well, she deserves it!) because the assistant said it really excells if you do a bit of pie-making etc.....

I'd highly recommend looking at one. That convection feature really speeds the cooking time PLUS...gives "something" to the ability of the cook as our meals seem to be much better.

Wish I could better describe it but things just taste better. A++.

And the amenities on the oven panel controls are right up there..but I suspect most are these days.

HTH.

Jeremy.

Jeremy.

We have been told [and it may have been Sears hype] that Sears indicates the specs to Whirlpool that they want and that they are frequently better than what Whirlpool uses for their own named product.

Agree with the convection feature. Have used a coulpe commercial ovens at the two praish centers here. They are NICE,, the wife says her next one will have that feature.

As per the hype, it wouldn't surprise me at all. I see it all the time in almost everything having to do with my job.
    ------------------
    Wyo-blizzard aka Bloody Tom Bonney

[This message has been edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff (edited 22 February 2006).]
    Wyo-Blizzard

forgoing brands.......there is no way I will ever have anything less than a double wall convection oven ever again. a little more expensive but well worth it.

just had a serviceman replace an oven element in our maytag oven. we've had it for about 7 yrs and like it alot. however the service man said that they were, maytag, bought out recently and the quality went down. he recommended, if you were in the market, kenmore was still good.

First Gas or Electric? Mine is electric.
    Second if you do not currently have a smooth top stove, actually ceramic, you need to know that flat bottoms on all of your pots and pans are required. Any grooves, ridges etc really makes the stove top work harder to keep the heat on the pots/pans. plus there is a real danger of scratching the ceramic top.
    Definitely go with the convection. It is great. The best I found for my money is the Whirlpool gallery series, it is about two steps below professional grade, cooks like a dream plus it has a bottom warming drawer, a stove top pot/pan warming spot and a bridge element for using a griddle.

I can't speak for the quality of the gas model though, although I would rather cook with gas any day.

[This message has been edited by Bearmon (edited 22 February 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread