+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Camping Product

Default New Camping Product

When fishing and camping with a group it's difficult to time a warm/freshly cooked lunch as we all have other priorty's. Cold sandwich's get to be boring and something out of a can can be flat.
    Coleman has come up with a crock pot that operates on propane. Now chili, sloppy joe's, pulled bbq pork, etc. can be available so you can get a warm lunch when ever you come back to camp.
    I will have one by our opening day outing to the Little Manistee comes around at the end of April and will let you all know how it works.
    It could also be a nice thing to have for those unexpected power outages. Set it up in the garage off course.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus

Jack,
    GREAT!!...In addition to the other great food we have planned, I just found, fixed & enjoyed the BEST sloppy joe recipe I have had. Instead of ground beef, it has sweet AND hot Italian sausage, spices, etc...my wife thought it sounded too spicy, but she loved it too! What do you think, do we add that to the menu?
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Guess I better get 2!!

Blog Entries

Jack, I use one that is designed to work on wood coals. It's called a Dutch Oven. What will they think of next?

Tuber - I'm not a great fan of Sloppy Joes but I just made some really good hot Italian venison sausage. Could we get you to share your recipe?
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

Every Labor day weekend for the past 20+ years a group of around 30 have camped together.
    We have a huge breakfast and an even bigger dinner.
    We learned long ago, for the same reason Jack mentions, to skip lunch. We still have happy hour(s) of course. So there is always some food on the table
    I'm with the Hide Hunter, dutch oven cooking is the way to go. My wife sells the things, check out her web site on my profile.

------------------
    I never lost a little fish
    yes, I'm free to say
    It always was the biggest fish
    I caught that got away
    ...Eugene Field
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Dutch ovens make really good pies, too. At least my wife's does! Bet your slow cooker won't do that.

Donald

I like Dutch Oven Cooking too, you can make some wonderful meals in them. The Crock Pot alows you to put something on when you head out in the am and leave untended for hours.

and the informercial version of the dutch oven is walk away cookware (totally useless as a haybox but very efficient as a pot). There is always the good old haybox, which is basically a dutch oven in a wooden box packed tightly with straw, put the oven in the middle and cover with more straw, then tie down the lid on the wooden box, will simmer for a good 12 hours. I remember these as a kid, mum would make a stew put it in the haybox in the kitchen and let it simmer all day, the original crockpot.

[url=http://www.inthewake.org/b1cooking.html:1d4b5]http://www.inthewake.org/b1cooking.html[/url:1d4b5]

[This message has been edited by Jo (edited 17 February 2006).]

MMmmmm, dutch oven biscuits.....

The Coleman cooker sounds good. Just wonder how racoon and other critter proof it is.

+ Reply to Thread