+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sure is green -soon?

Default Sure is green -soon?

Just read Ladyfisher's "Sure is Green" 1st quarter 2005 article. Thank you Deanna, I feel better already even thought we are forcast for snow this weekend. Oh how I miss the Pacific Northwest. Beautiful photo's.

Thanks for the kind comments - unfortunately we remember the 'bad' stuff about Michigan,
    the bone-aching cold, ankle deep slush and ice storms. But we'll return this August for the good stuff too.

JC has begonia's set on one window sill, there are many dozen of glads to be planted and my new "best friend" at Jackson & Perkins called to ask if I wanted to delay the shipment of dahlias until the end of March.
    They are down in Oregon, so they know what the weather is like around here.

I planted 400 tulips late fall, and they are up about 5 inches. Primroses already in bloom, crocus too and narcissis in full bud. Supposed to be cold here for the next few days, so they will not open quite yet.

Amazing what a month can do here

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

ah yes, the asters are blooming, the gadioli have been cut back, the iris and freesia beds have been fed. The wedding day rose survived its midsummer move and has decided to double its size in a month. The new dublin bay has buds on it. The tomatoes are gently ripening and the zuchinni just cant grow fast enough to feed us. The apple tree is dropping fruit and the pans are ready to make the first batch of apple butter for the year.

And the lawn mower broke down

[This message has been edited by Jo (edited 16 February 2006).]

Yes LadyFisher you are one lucky couple. Suppose to be 13 F tomorrow, 30mph and snow. You sure do know Michigan. Like I said earlier, I sure miss the N.W.

Jo, I would think you would be chasing your elusive marlin? "..the big fish;yellow looking in the water, swimming two or three feet under the surface, the huge pectoral fins tucked close to the flanks, the dorsal fin down, the fish looking a round fast-moving log in the water except for the erect curve of that slicing tail." Hemingway "Marlin on the Morro" (1933). It seem N.Z. is on the same opposite latitude as Oregon, USA. Things grow well at 52 degree Lat. Jonezee

the marlin are well worth chasng here although there is no formal catch and release, you are likely to be lured into a dark alley and beaten if you dont. In NZ you would not dream of chasing marlin with a flyrod, such an exercise is equivilent to stopping a train with a cardboard box. The marlin generally weigh 600 lb upwards, even YFT would be too much for any flyrod on the market. US marlin are named by kiwi anglers as "toothpicks" and if two people can pick it up, its too small. If you come to NZ with the intention of flyfishing for marlin, forget it. Other FFF and SWFF opportunities are boundless.

I was out driving around here in Western Arkansas yesterday and found some Easter lillies bloomed out and today the high is like 36 calling for ice tonight. I bet those flowers done make it.

+ Reply to Thread