+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Way OT but need pickup help!

Default Way OT but need pickup help!

Here's the story...
    My wife and I bought our first camper a couple of summers ago. We really ended up with more camper than we needed for just the 2 of us. However, we got a deal we just couldn't pass up. The camper is a 30' travel trailer. Quite a bit longer and heavier than we went looking for but at any rate it's ours now.

We find ourselves wishing we had a bit "more" pickup with which to pull said camper. Our current pickup is a 1997 Chevy (sorry Ford folks) 1/2 ton, extended cab. 5.3 liter (I think), V8, 4X4 with a towing package (really, I think that just means it has a transmission cooler, etc.) This pickup pulls the camper OK but really makes the old engine work hard at highway speeds. Gas milage REALLY sucks at speeds over 60 mph.

I am not the least bit of a "motor head". For those of you who know more about this stuff than I do, what should I be looking for in my new (or "new to me) pickup. Engine size, gear ratios, etc.

I am not loyal to one brand over another. I will be looking for a pickup that fits my needs at a price I can afford. Thanks for any input.

------------------

hmmm...i thought this was a thread on how to meet the opposite sex....what a disappointment!!!

Looking back at my title I can see where one might think that. I can either change the title or see where this goes from here.

Hey Royce,

A Dodge 2500 (3/4 Ton) or 3500 (1 Ton), Cummins Diesel. Great Gas Mileage and enough power to pull that trailer and make you forget it's there behind you.

The Dodges are also a little less expensive than the Chevy's and a little more reliable than the Fords (I know, I know, Here it comes), remember this is just my opinion. I actually like the Ford F-250 & F-350 body styles.

Terry
    "The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach

buy a 3/4 ton diesel forget the half ton.
    the mileage will be better and will tow it anywhere plus last along time

------------------
    gofish

you need more torque than that Chevy is giving you.My FOrd F250 diesel I got at least 18mpg no matter what I pulled or hauled. Torque for pulling and hauling is the key. You Chevy is overworked. Have fun!

------------------
    "Give me ambiguity or give me something else"

3/4 ton truck with the diesel - i prefer Ford but get whatever you want. you might go with the ton truck, but again totally up to you. The diesel is really going to be the cats arse for ya pulling a load like that

Royce - Have you considered a smaller RV? I am a big fan of molded fiberglass campers - they are small, lightweight and have all the comforts of the larger trailers.. well, almost all the comforts. The best part is that they can be towed by 6 cylinder sedans and trucks. Here's my rig - it's a '76 Boler. There is a company in MN called Scamp Trailers that makes a similiar model in 13', 16' and 19'. Google 'em and take a look. Cheers, Alec

For "real work", ... forget the 1/2 tons.

3/4 ton Diesel (cummings) if you can, ... Fuller for transmission.

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/015738.html:d0362]2006 FishIn Ste-Marguerite River[/url:d0362]

[url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:d0362]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:d0362]
    Christopher Chin

Ole Buddy. I have a Ford F250 4X4 about same gas engine as you, yes it has tranny cooler and even tranny temp gauge. I pull a 18 ft bumper pull stock trailer, when loaded with four horses and or full load of hay, it pulls hard, makes the engive work and yes eats up gas. I also have same truck 99 F-150, same engine 4X4. The only differance is stopping...this is where you need to take heed...The F-250 has much bigger brakes than the 150. Yes I have electric brakes on the trailer but believe you me, if you need to stop fast the trailer will push the 150 all over the road where the 250 will hold its own much better. Good luck. Rich

+ Reply to Thread