Here's the story...
My wife and I bought our first camper a couple of summers ago. We really ended up with more camper than we needed for just the 2 of us. However, we got a deal we just couldn't pass up. The camper is a 30' travel trailer. Quite a bit longer and heavier than we went looking for but at any rate it's ours now.

We find ourselves wishing we had a bit "more" pickup with which to pull said camper. Our current pickup is a 1997 Chevy (sorry Ford folks) 1/2 ton, extended cab. 5.3 liter (I think), V8, 4X4 with a towing package (really, I think that just means it has a transmission cooler, etc.) This pickup pulls the camper OK but really makes the old engine work hard at highway speeds. Gas milage REALLY sucks at speeds over 60 mph.

I am not the least bit of a "motor head". For those of you who know more about this stuff than I do, what should I be looking for in my new (or "new to me) pickup. Engine size, gear ratios, etc.

I am not loyal to one brand over another. I will be looking for a pickup that fits my needs at a price I can afford. Thanks for any input.

------------------