+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trout Music--Schubert's 'Trout'

Default Trout Music--Schubert's 'Trout'

Actually, my musical tastes run more towards honky tonk, bluegrass and country swing. But we had a hoot at our fly tying session today listening to Schubert's "Trout" quintet and discussing what was probably happening during each part.

For me, the first 3 parts represented all kinds of different trout water that we fished last year--big slow rivers, still pools, deep fast channels, and steep, rocky bubbling little brook trout streams. He starts getting some good strikes in part 3, you'll hear them as he walks between slow water and fast.

Things get exciting with lots of strikes in the 4th part, and by the middle of it (the andantino), he hooks a trout, falls in the water, his waders fill up, and he almost drowns. We all agreed on exactly which part of the song that was.....you will too. Then he finally does hook the happy little trout, muddys the water, lands the fish, and lets it go.

Actually, Schubert was probably not a fisherman, and it's known he wrote the melody to go along with a poem ("Die Forelle") written by a fisherman fan of his, and then turned it into this famous quintet.

Anyway, we were laughing like crazy. Maybe it's the excess of frozen air and water here these days, but -- contrary to popular belief, classical music does not have to be boring.
    ;~)
    DANBOB

A scene in the movie "Apocoplyspe Now" has Wagners "Flight of the valkyries" playing as the 1st Cav is heading toward a target somewher in NAM. Hardly boring classical music and probably the most recognized classical piece to allot of people in the world still. I served in 66' but the only thing classical about the music we heard was it is now old to the kids growing up today and nothing that even closly resembles Wagners work. Music to flyfish by? Jonezee

------------------
    I learn more about the world while talking to myself when fishing alone

la fortuna goes well with marlin fishing for some reason.

La Fortuna, (el surerte y el destino) Carmina Burana no? I would think La Fortuna would go better with Tuna??

There actually is a guide service in USA, Bill Dvorak Expeditions who will take you on a 6 day float down the Green River in Utah or the Dolores River in Colorado along with 4 or 5 people who will play viola, violin, cello and flute for you at "Bach before breakfast" or at dinner on the banks of the river around the ole campfire. They specialize in fly fishing on the float trip.
    info@dvorakexpeditions.com is their website. Don't ever underestimate the American Sportsman and what they can acheive with a little will power. I think Bill also does guiding in New Zealand. Nice to meet you Kiwi, tight lines, Jonezee

Jonezee

------------------
    I learn more about the world while talking to myself when fishing alone

+ Reply to Thread