+ Reply to Thread

Thread: floating lines

Default floating lines

What' everybodies experience with floating line. I've got an 4 wt. orvis pole that I love, but the wonderline is cracked after two years (tapered, 4wt.floating). I do fish alot during the year, so how long should a fly line last and should I be looking for another tapered floating line? What brand? (I'm staying away from wt. foward...so splashy for me) Thanks

Fly Line lifespan depend on, the amount of use, and mis-use!

I have always been happy with the fly line I have purchased, some have lasted me over 7 years. PMCS (Preventive Maintenance-Corrective Service)is a big part of the longevity of the Fly Line.

Clean the line after every fishing outing, get the crud off the line, and also the guides the line runs through. I normally only lubricate the line (with the manufacturer's recommended cleaner) at the end of the fishing season, before storage until next season.

Wipe the line with a wash rag that has lots of soap suds, as I strip the line off of the reel, into a bucket of warm water to rinse. Then I run the line thru a clean towel, as I wind the line back onto the reel.

I also wipe the inside of the reel with the rag to get rid of crude there also, plus pop the spool off to brush out the inside gears with a stiff artist's paint brush. ~Parnelli

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 02 February 2006).]

Hi william cash,

You say you do alot of fishing! If you use fly spray every time your out you can guarante that the fly line will not last as long if you didn't. Also it depends on where your reel is stored when your not fishing. If it is stored in a car or truck the excess heat in the summer time will destroy the line. Another thing is where you fish, I know one of the spots I fish there is a lot of dirt or mud along the bank. and I usually have to dip my rod in the water to get the dirt of the guides. The other option is to clean and coat your line with fly line dressing after every time out. This takes a lot of discipline which I find very hard to do. When I'm done fishing it is usually dark and the last thing I want to do is unwind my fly line and clean it, to many bugs and just want to go home. I find if a fly line will last you 2 to 3 years without cleaning it is not to bad.
    My 2 cents worth,
    Alan (salmonguy)
    Catch & Release Works...

Salmonfly - correct me if im wrong, but by fly spray, you mean insect repellant, right?
    Also sunblock and other substances are bad for the line. If its not made for the line, I try to keep it off.

I clean the rag with a wet soft rag after every couple of outings.

Over the winter, when I'm not using them, I clean with soapy water, then conditions and store. When storing, I wrap in large loops

Hi l1ranger,

Yes, I meant insect repellant!!! But as much as you try to keep it off your line it is near impossible. All it takes is to scratch your neck with your hand and then your hand goes to the fly line.

Alan (salmonguy)
    Catch & Release Works...

William,
    First, welcome aboard! Glad to have you here.
    I like Orvis products a lot, but was never sold on their lines. The 2 I use now are RIO & Scientific Anglers. I haven't had to replace a line in the last 4 years, & have only 1 new one (on a new outfit). The others are all at least 2 years old. Both these companies are class A...SA is a sponsor here.
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I replace my lines every year. Better safe then sorry, I would hate to ruin a day on the water with a bad line.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Welcome to the boards....You wouldn't happen to have herd or been told that stretching your fly line is a good thing would you???...If you have been doing this...stop that practice immediately!!! Some do pull all their line off their reels pieriodically and suspend it between two objects..such as trees...and this may be ok..privided that the line is not pulled tightly....Never overly stretch a flyline, Unless the fish your fighting has you to the last wrap of backing on your spool....Stretching is not at all good for a line...just a few thoughts.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread