+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tis the Season For.............

Default Tis the Season For.............

OK don't want to sound like a Grinch all of a sudden, but rippoff & plain outragious dishonesty just killed my Holiday spirit for a day !!!! I was at Home Depot & bought some wood smoling chips (I Hickory smoke turkeys every Christmas). This amounted to
    $8.67 !!! I hand the checkout lady a $20 bill. She gives me back $1.33 in change. I pointed out to her that she short changed me & she argued. She made us stand there for 30 minutes while she went through her act of counting the register. SHe interestingly claims that there were no $10 bills in the cash drawer !!!! She also won't give me the receipt I demanded back. I took her name down. I asked to speak to the manager. A supposed assistant manager showed up, went back saying he counted the cash drawer. Interesting, each time the drawer was counted the amount kept changing !!!! I left with a sour taste in my mouth & the Christmas Spirit killed for the moment.
    The assistant manager was even flippant.
    Tis the seaon for dishonesty (I would have hoped not). I hope like me you want to give your patronage to honest businesses !!! Sad to say, Home Depot is not one of them !!!!!!

Had similar experience at my regular bank many years ago. Went to drive up window as usual and cashed a check. Was short changed $20.00. Always counted my change before I left the window. Did so in front of the cashier and then she said she couldn't check it right then. Went in to see the manager and he said they'd have to wait till the end of the day and check the drawer. He called me after close of business and apologized and said I could come by and pick up my $20.00. Told him I already was there once and didn;t get it; so, figured it was only fair that they delivered it to my house. Danged if the manager didn't show up at the house about fifteen minutes later with my $20.00 and another apology. Still used the bank after that and still always counted my money before leaving the bank and made sure the cashier noted it. Funny thing is, at that same bank, I once was gifted with $20.00 extra and immediately pointed it out to the cashier and gave it back to her

i've gotten in the habit of saying "it's a $20" or the like when giving someone a bill. makes it look like i think they are stupid, which i don't like to do, but it ends these kind of problems.

I good cashier will not put away the money received until after the change is given out and accepted.

jed

MR JML;
    Jed hit it. I train my people to not put the bill in the register until the transaction is complete.
    D Micus is also right, tell them what you are paying with.
    We have to realize that most young people cannot count due to poor schooling and lack of carring!

rip-off and plain outragious dishonesty, sounds to me like an honest mistake. I handle cash everyday and had a guy come in Monday claiming I gave him change for a $10 and insisted he gave me a $20, after openning my drawer(with the paln of giving him a $10 bill) I realised I didn't have a $20 in my drawer yet! It was at that point he remembered he had put $10 worth of gas in his truck on the way to work that morning and forgot he did it! Again, just an honest mistake!
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

The points made above about the proper handling of cash prevent mistakes and...more importantly...make them easier to verify and correct. I don't think many places really bother to truly train cashiers anymore. Even bank teller training is a lot more slack than it used to be.

And let's not try to slough it off on "the yonger generation." A lot of the cashiers I see at Home Depot are NOT young! And I've had way more little old ladies try to rip me off at a cash register than young kids over the years. Besides, it was the "older generation's" responsibility to educate the "younger generation." So if their education is lacking, guess whose fault it is?

------------------
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Also you should watch that the register actually shows the amount you are paying. Cashiers will ring up 15 cents for a $15 purchase, then make the correct change from your $20.

During the shift they keep a running total, and remove the "extra" before end of shift.

------------------
    bubba_orvis

Another thing you could do to prevent this from happening is to try to memorize the last four digits of the money's serial number before you hand it in. That way, if something like that happens again, you could just recite it and ask whomever to find it in the register if it ever comes down to that.

-Dave

What I find interesting about this is that the cashier said there were no $10 bills in her till. That right there should have told her that she made a mistake.

------------------
    "If it was easy anybody could do it"
    Timothy S. Furey Sr.

+ Reply to Thread