+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Penny Smart, Pound Foolish!"

Default "Penny Smart, Pound Foolish!"

...or should I say "Penny Smart, Dollar Foolish"?

Everyone knows how expensive the ink cartridges are for printers. So when the "Replace Ink Cartridge" notice comes on, I usually ignore it until the printer stops printing because of an empty ink cartridge.

I just had to replace my printer head, because of my being frugal to the point of costing me $52, I really didn't want to spend. Seems that low ink cartridges, will cause the ink in the printer head to dry up, and clog the system.

Now I have learn my lesson, and paid the price. Hope you learn the lesson, and not have to pay the price.

------------------
    ~ Parnelli

School of Hard Knocks, is where you are always tested, before you learn your lesson!

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 30 November 2005).]

Steven;
    Thanks for the tip. I've got one at work that's been empty for a week! I'll change it today,
    Thanks again

Steven,

I posed a question about printers about 3-4 weeks ago. Seems as though I can buy a new printer for a replacement pair of cartridges. Yesterday I saw a good quality printer (lots of options) for only $5 more than it would cost me to replace the cartridges in my current printer. Obviously this would not apply to commercial quality printers.

Allan

tye! I been noticing the same thing for about the past year. You can buy a whole new inkjet printer for like $75 and the ink cartridges cost dang near that much. It's crazy!

Here's another tip: don't buy Lexmark! There is very little ink in their cartridges and they are expensive. I use 3 blacks for every 1 I use in my low-end HP. Not to mention the Lexmark has never gotten along well with my Compaq Presario...connectivity trouble.

Anyway, on the low-end stuff, I think I'll just keep using them til they run out of ink and if it messes up the printer I'll toss it out and go buy a new one.

------------------
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Let me put my perspective on this. Because of the business that I?m in, I am required to have permanent color ink on all that I publish. There are not that many inkjets that have permanent ink, and those that do are rather expensive, and the ink for them is the same, expensive. So I use a color laser printer and just one toner cartridge cost $100 bucks, and there are 3 colors, plus black, for a total of 4. If I had to replace all four at once, that?s $400. There is also an image drum that requires replacing, but not as often as the colored toner. This cartridge cost almost $200. I am able to get roughly 4000 pages per toner cartridge and about 12,000 for the imaging drum. As far as I know, you can?t get that many pages from an inkjet cartridge. So, for me, I wish all I had to spend was $52 on a cartridge.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Magneto (edited 30 November 2005).]

Blog Entries

Twice I got the dried up head to start printing again . Once I didn't , I put a piece of water soaked papertowel under the cartridge . Waited an hour or so . Worked 2/3 of the time and is worth a shot anytime .
    Ps , it was the wifes computer , She is too cheap not to run it dry . Gotta get that last 1/00th of a cents worth of ink you know .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

For God's sake, man, don't complain about a frugal wife!

------------------
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!

+ Reply to Thread