+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bamboo Rod Guide Placement

Default Bamboo Rod Guide Placement

Has anyone seen or know where I can find a chart for guide placement on bamboo rods? I have an 8 1/2' and 9' that I am rebuilding. I have built graphite rods and have the placement charts for them but I am not sure that the charts apply to bamboo rods.

Also, I need some Jasper B/W thread. This is a rare commodity. Any suggestions?

Why not put um back where they were? Should be easy to see where that was.

When you remove the guide wraps from a bamboo rod you will probably find that the bamboo is a different color than the rest of the rod. due to the color change you will probably want to rewrap with the guides in the same locations as they were originally placed. Also try posting your question on the rod building board. There are a lot of people who are real pros.

As far as the thread you may want to try the sponsor board.

Some of the snake guides on both rods were missing when I got them. So I don't have the exact location. Will try rod builders board.

Thanks

Greyone,
    Don't be too sure that some of the guides are missing. It may be an old rod built with different assumptions. Early in the 20th century, rods, some at least, had guide spacing that IMHO defies reason. I have one on which there is no progressive diminution of the spaces between guides. There is always a guide near a ferrule...sometimes close and on both sides. And the total number of guides is far short of what we'd use on this (9 foot rod today). The total= 6 plus the tip top! This is a Horricks Ibbotson, "National Sportsman". I'm 90% sure of what I've said but would like any corrections or comments. It would mean re-refinishing it but what the heck?

Ol' Bill

PS. It casts a silk line beautifully!

Placing the guides on a bamboo rod is a way a master rodbuilder can "tweak" the action of the rod. There is a rod builder section on The Classic Fly Rod Forum. [url=http://p205.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforumwith:24e22]http://p205.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforumwith[/url:24e22] a number of patterns for guide placement and the action you can expect.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

+ Reply to Thread