+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Swaps

Default Fly Swaps

My sound off is about people that sign up for swaps that you host and they either drop out at the last moment,never respond to your emails and/or never send the flys they agreed to tie or ALWAYS have an excuse for why they are late in making a deadline. I have had several succesful swaps on FAOL and there are several of the same people that consistently
    show this behavior. Myself, I have a list of those that do this and they won't be accepted into any of my future swaps for the reasons listed. It's not being fair to the swapmeister or the participants that cooperate and follow the swap rules.
    THANKS!! {:O)
    Kahuna

I don't know if you read Rick Zieger's article on swaps and being a swap meister, but one of his strong points is there has to be good communication between the swap meister from the start. Unreliable people really spoil it for everyone and should not be allowed to participate.
    Rick's article is here: [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/panfish/part381.html:08a48]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/panfish/part381.html[/url:08a48]

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Yes, I read Ricks article. I send participant updates daily etc. I've been in many of Rick's swap and he has been a participant in mine over the years. I take Rick's ,and as soon as I sign up for a swap I get them tied and send them ASAP!! I wish all participants would read Rick's article. Thanks for responding to my SOUND OFF! {:O)
    Mike "Kahuna"

Kahuna,

You get a big Amen from me on that one.

REE

Kahuna;
    I just entered my first swap and and am happy to say my flies were shipped and were received 3 weeks before the deadline! 40 years in automotive manufacturing taught me that deadlines are serious!! My reputation as an engineer was at stake as well as future business!
    As an aside this swap got me out of my tying block. Been tying every night now! I'm getting into medium/small (size 8 - 14) Stoneflys big time!!

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus

Kahuna - I't just human nature mate. Give people a deadline and 50% will want to beat it, and 50% to extend it. Give them a task to do and then human creativity kicks in and that 50% will end up doing something else. Drives me crazy too.

By the way, I was late on my last swap though too!!!! (Pot calling the kettle black here!)
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

I don't believe I was late on my last one...but I do know I committed a cardinal sin, I rushed em out and in my haste did'nt get em toe tagged...Miff's me more as I think about it....It will not happen again in the future...I just joined the Quill swap and am expecting a fairly early mailing....soon as my quill order arrives...thought I had plenty...turns out the reason Black stood out in my minds eye....was because it was the only color I was out of...as for the no shows...my list just continues to grow..as I will be starting a swap soon as I get these out...and I would not mind seeing "Kahuna" on that swaps list....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 22 November 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Hi everyone!
    Bill Knepp write me when you get ready for another swap. You've been in one or two of my swaps and they were on time etc..etc...
    Thanks!
    Kahuna

I always give alot of time for the flies to be tied. My 4 swaps right now is almost 3 months.

I will stir the pot and say that it all goes back to responsiblility. To me it is almost like a contract, I have promised the flies and I need to deliver. As in the article, I don't join if I can't get them tied in 2 weeks.

Rick

Swappers,

This comment is based on the last roughly 3-4 years that I've participated on this site and with swaps. Anyone else notice this or am I off-base:

People who sign up for swaps and send the flies in late or drop out, for whatever reason, "usually"* leave the site and hardly ever return.

* Added after tyflier's comment.

Allan

[This message has been edited by tyeflies (edited 24 November 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread