+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tibor Reel

Default Tibor Reel

Recently purchased a Tibor Reel- Backcountry model. Will probably use it for steelhead so will not get to give it a workout until probably Oct. Interested to know if any of you have fished these reels and your opinion of them. Also do you pronounce it Teebor or Tiebor. Realy showing my ignorance. Thanks all.

------------------
    Dry Fly Guy

Those light reels including "Backcountry" were changed this year to include a wider arbor. The old models were marked down for close out, and were sold at good prices.

Tibor makes good stuff in general, and is big in warm water/saltwater circles. There is nothing that is "bad" about the Backcountry reels, but you may find a drawback in them for fall/winter steelheading: they have cork drags. Most seasoned steelheaders fishing cold water in fall and winter conditions have an aversion to cork drags because they absorb water and freeze. I've never fihsed a cork drag in winter so have no personal experience, but have avoided them for the stated reasons.

I do not believe that a the majority of cork drags out there on modern reels are pure, unaltered cork. Most have been modified and impregnated with something. Perhaps yours has an impregnation that will help.

At this point, you've spent the money, so it's not the optimal time to ask. Try it and see.

Dry Fly Guy,

You pronounce the brand "tea boar" as in the hot drink and the animal.

Tibor is Ted Jurasik's first name in his native language, which if I remember correctly is Hungarian.

-John

PS I don't think you will have any problems with the reel at all. They are great reels.

+ Reply to Thread