+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo report

Default Bamboo report

This is not a fishing report! Repeat; this is not a fishing report!

If it sounds like one ? well, what can I tell you?

Whoa, Momma!! It?s about BAMBOO!!! As you know, Christmas came early to the Hiner household. Cary gave me a new bamboo rod, Battenkill reel, and Tilley hat! Oh, I?ve been such a good girl!!

I?ve never held, for more than just a few minutes, a bamboo rod. I?ve always wanted one, but ?knew ? it wouldn?t be happening for me. I own several glass rods, including two Hardy?s, and was content with my poor mans' cane. But all that?s changed now!! I?m still more than happy with my Hardy?s, but the bamboo is totally different from them! I have to admit to needing quite some time to get used to the cigar grip, and the added weight of the rod, after all, I?m used to the graphite 2, 3, and 4 weights, and the slide ring reel seat was novel (I?m certainly not used to hearing my reel clunk on the rivers edge!), though once I figured everything out it was a definite ?whoa, Momma!!? moment!!

That beautiful slooooow casting! The fly gently placed. The gleam of sunlight on bamboo! And that first fish! Yeowza! I only had a few days to fish with it, but, boy am I sold!

OK. The bamboo rod I received is a Diamondback. It?s got two tips. 7?6?, 5#. It carries a ?for life? warrantee. It cost less than my last Hardy perfection glass. And, it?s bamboo!! Tonkin cane. Really, really beautiful. Where I may have been hesitant to fish with a $$$$ T&T, or Payne, I can get right in there and fish to my little puny hearts desire! Beautiful and fun!

Many thanks to Tim Yager at Yager's Fly's in Lawrence, KS.

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Glad you enjoyed using your new rod. I find that there is just something about fishing cane that takes me back in time...other anglers fade...I am alone...
    Welcome to the club... Great husband you have there!

That looooooooooooonnnnnnnngggggggg slow cast is a lovely feel...gives one time to do things .....cast forward......take out the water bottle....backcast.....take the top offf the water bottle....forward cast......take a couple of drinks of water....feed a little line....back cast.....put the bottle away....

it is one of the most beautiful parts of fly fishing for sure..what a feel!!!

Glad you got one Betty congratulations!!!

[This message has been edited by dleo6446 (edited 22 October 2005).]

Betty enjoy!!! Oh What a Feeling...

------------------
    Spelling and Grammar not subject to judgement...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Oh my! Betty, that sounds wonderful. I read your post, grinned, and worked hard to put it behind me because the last thing I NEED to do is spend any more money on anything related to fly fishing right now. So I slowly backed away from my computer, went to the tying desk, and started on some egg patterns with images of steelies dancing in my head. All was well. But here I sit at my keyboard at 5:00 AM more awake than I want to be, having just had a beautiful dream about casting a little bamboo rod on a small Adirondack stream with the sunlight on the water, the mist rising, some white bugs all around me....

Sounds wonderful. Congratulations!
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Ho, Betty!
    Someone above said that you have a great and good husband. I concur!

Heck, I wouldn't do that for my wife unless I had a sizable bunch of cane rods for myself. Let your hubby know that I still run the "Repository For Used and Abused Bamboo Rods". I check them out almost the same day that I receive them and give them a good home. Of course, I burn any that don't measure up.

Ol' Bill

Snipe,
    The first fly cast? A REAL snipe and purple! And the first thing to touch the fly? A huge dragon fly! Picked it up in mid cast (oh! those long, slow, casts!!) and lifted it probably 10 feet in the air before dropping it!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty

Good for you. Bravo!
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Betty,
    Did you land that dragonfly? I've never done that but I caught a Tern once and had a gull dive for my Keuka Maribou. (dang bird never touched the darn thing though)

I also caught a Mallard duck on Lake George one dark night...what a rumpus that thing put up. Thought I'd hooked some kind of a Nessie or something similar until I heard Quack Quack Quack! I'm not a physician so I wasn't insulted...and turned her loose unharmed.

Ol' Bill

What a nice way to test out all thise midge patterns you will be getting from the Sno-Fly III Swap. Even a good pair of classic wet flies on your favorite stream. What a great hubby !!!! That rod deserves a classic Hardy reel, some silk line, & plenty of TLC & enjoyment !!!!!

+ Reply to Thread