+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tica Fishmaster fly reel

Default Tica Fishmaster fly reel

A quick review. Got my Tica fishmaster S105s from our local fly shop last summer and have been fishing with it all fall for trout in Colorado and Wyoming. The shop owner has a real good method for selling these -- he had me try a Teton, a Ross and a couple others, then sprung the Tica on me. It was so solid and tight, plus silky smooth on the retrieve and (especially) the drag that I chose it instantly -- and then found out it was at least $50 cheaper than all the others I tried, too. I paid $100, it's online at various shops for $80+s/h. I'd never heard of Tica, he explained they've made spinning gear for years and are just breaking into the fly reel market.

Anyways, I give the Tica an 'A' -- it works and feels like a reel that costs $300, not $100. My old Berkeley 556 is looking very forlorn in my 'old tackle' box, it just doesn't get used anymore!

DANBOB

First I've heard of it too. If you like it that is all that matters. Smart to try reels without looking at price tag...Sometimes you will be pleasantly surprised as you were.

Hey Danbob,
    Ordered one on your glowing recommendation. Got it on line for $79 and free shipping. Later ( of course) I looked some more and could have gotten it for as low as $55.
    I just hope it's light enough for my 4wt.

Mark

They do make a smaller one, the S103, for lighter line. The one you ordered is 3" in diameter and pretty light in weight, I bet it will be fine.

Headed to Gray Reef in Wyoming tomorrow with mine, where the fall browns have the reputation of showing your backing and reducing your drag to molten slag, so I (hopefully) will have a followup review too!

I'd be curious to know what you think of it, too. please reply again after you check it out!

DANBOB

Interesting question -- I didn't even ask. He did say he can get replacement parts easily. Since it was from a local fly shop, I'm confident that all I have to do is take it to him if there's a problem, and let him deal with the (evidently marginal, going by their website) English speaking skills at Tica. Time will tell!
    DANBOB

Got my Tica Fishmaster reel today. It IS the S103 model and it sure isn't too heavy for my 4 wt. It's everything you said it was Danbob. At that price, if I step on it I'll order another one. Thanks again.

Mark
    PS: No warrantee info anywhere on the packaging. I really don't care though because it looks like it will last for MY lifetime barring a stupid stunt on my part.
    ------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

[This message has been edited by Marco (edited 09 November 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread