Okie_Noodler, RW here

If you want to read a story I wrote on just what you're talking about go to Readers Casts Archives here on FAOL and check out the 2004 article "The Contest". I think you'll get a kick out of it. It's fiction based on fact. My wife and I have fished together off and on for 53 years (48 married) and she outfishes me regularly. If anyone doesn't think that women are just as competetive as men, think again. They are just quieter, cunning and more devious about it.

When I beat my wife at something (seldom) I'm more condescending to her feelings...a big mistake I always make. Cuz When she wins the needle goes all the way in. I can't beat that woman in anything, bridge or even scrabble, and I'm a writer for gosh sakes.

Fly fishing is one place that women can excel if they've a mind to. JC and Deanna (owners and publishers of FAOL) are both excellent casters and fly fishers and I know they love each other very much, but I'm just as sure that when they're fishing together the competetive juices still bubble over once in awhile. Wait til they go bonefishing in the Bahamas this winter. We'll get a daily blow by blow of size and numbers and who caught what. I think it's great fun. I always root for Deanna. Besides JC caught the biggest one last year so it's her turn. lol.

Hey man, just roll with the punches. Practice on the sly and then spring your great casting and fish catching ability on her when she least expects it (yeah, right).
First and foremost have fun. That's what fishing is supposed to be all about.

Later, RW

------------------
"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-

[This message has been edited by Royal Wulff (edited 18 October 2005).]