Just what is it YOU mean by "I want service". Used to be that it meant a saleable, unique commodity the vendor provided perhaps over and above the competition. Such as mail order,delivery, gift wrapping,rod setup after purchase fish cleaning ( not really) etc. Nowadays "service" means ( what I've deduced from posts) you demand the vendor do cartwheels for your entertainment,treat you like a king, accept returns WITHOUT question ,stock everything you might need, remember your name ,answer all your questions, drop everything and RUN to you when you enter the shop,provide free samples and loaners, laugh at all your jokes and share fishin hole secrets from other clients. All the above for FREE.
To me , while not totally unrealistic, these demands are over the top. Actually the smaller ( cozier) the shop, the more is often demanded/expected of it.
It so happens that my "local" flyshop is a company operated Orvis store. I go there to buy stuff and not to make friends.They are just the right blend of personal and don't give a damn if I buy or not. If they have what I want, I buy and if not, I don't. I have certain (factoring in their prices) general expectations of them but these are no different than I have for a gas station.
Maybe Marshall Field should have kept his mouth shut instead of admonishing his salesman " give the lady what she wants" after she returned the third dress.
In my opinion,as consumers, we should "lighten up" and give these guys ( flyshops) a bit more slack .

Mark

------------------
I'd rather be in Wyoming!