I just had to post this because of 5 separate incidents I observed while driving yesterday. In each one(except #5) I cannot fathom what these people were thinking.
1. Man(seemed young and all decked out with racing clothes, helmet & glasses) riding a racing cycle on a state highway. The road has curves so severe there were posted speed limits of 20mph in spots. This road also has about 2 miles of downgrade so bad that trucks are not permitted. He rode in the middle of the lane(1 lane each direction). He was traveling downhill at a speed faster then posted for vehicles. Fortunately I saw him coming at a somewhat straight section.

2. Two girls walking along that same road decided to run across. Even though I slowed down, I had been going a little less than the speed limit at the time, they shouldn't have crossed in front of me. There were no other cars and they could have waited till I had passed.

3 & 4. In separate incidents, two kids(teenagers?) were riding their bikes in the street while traveling in the opposite direction of traffic.

5. Girl(young woman) walking along a shoulderless stretch of county highway in the opposite direction of traffic. Actually, I think walking in this direction is better but the law states otherwise.

Anyway, can't you just see an accident waiting to happen in any of the top 4 situations?

If you want to ride a bike or take a walk do it where it's reasonably safe, obey the rules and use common sense. You may have that right but what good will that do you if you're dead? Right?

Allan

[This message has been edited by tyeflies (edited 19 September 2005).]