+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Like No Place On Earth"

Default "Like No Place On Earth"

The topic line is the Wyoming State motto. Well it's THAT time again. We're off to Wyoming for our annual flyfishing trek. It's something I look forward to a lot and almost guage the years ( and they're passing quicker ) by it. We'll be taking the Southern route up (I 80) and the Northern route back (I 90). Wyo06,"GO POKES", we'll see ya at the bookstore at the ole alma mater where I retool with another years supply of UW "buckin bronc" stuff and relive some memories. I'll stop at the West Laramie Fly Store and get some locally tied fuzz on a hook and maybe try the Little Laramie at the "school section". That abandoned RR trestle there is a magnet for me.
    Byron ( wyo blizzard), I'll lean on the horn as I pass thru Rock Springs ( white Grand Cherokee with Illinois license plates "FISH WYO" . Honk if ya see me. I'll be heading North on Wyo 191 toward Lander and to fish the PopoAgie at "The Sinks" and then on to Pinedale ( Green River) and Jackson ( destination).
    Rich Ward, you'll probably get a chance to regret you ever gave me your phone #. We'll float the South Fork for sure. I'll provide the beer and single malt (or whatever your heart desires) and all the other stuff too.
    JC and LF, although it's a haul from Jackson, we'll try to make the fish-in for at least a day or two. It's been a while since Roscoe and Dennys chickin killin show. My wife was fine with fly tying till then. Won't buy or eat chicken anymore either. Too bad Denny didn't "do" a mink ( kidding).
    I hear the water situation is still pretty gruesome out there. Jackson Lake is 65% below normal levels. It's sad the see the "rings" at the various levels where the water used to be. Pray for rain and snow.
    On our way back ( I 90) we plan to visit Al Campbells final resting place and pay our respects at the Black Hills National Cemetary. We'll try to visit with Elliott ( ilmbaba) at his restaurant in Rapid City too. We'll visit Sturgis to see if "they" are all gone too.
    In any case, it would be great to meet some FAOLers along the way If you are or plan to be along the routes I mentioned, Sept 10-15 outbound, Sept 15-30 in Jackson, Sept 30-Oct 3 return trip, shoot me an e-mail ( mine is in profile) and I'll give you my cell#. Maybe we can "hook up". I DON"t mooch flies, cigars or whiskey and listen more than talk.
    "See" y'all when we we get back (God willing)

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

I'll hook up the boat .... when ya commen?

Rich

Marco,

Have a great trip, thanks for sharing your
    plan..

Steve
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Let me know when you are passing through Omaha on I80. I think I am feeling a bit sick that day. Cough, Cough. Yep, definately need a day off work. When is that?

Don
    Don Rolfson

Hey there Don, Thanks for the invite but Omaha is only about 460 miles and I gots to do at least sebenhunnert the first leg. Like Ogalala or therebouts.
    Steve, thanks for the "thanks".
    Rich "you've got mail". Got a "me rowin" story to tell ya AFTER we're in the boat. Can you say SWEEPER?

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

Marco,

I look forward to a full report on your trip when you return.

Be safe!

Steve Molcsan
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Great... now I have this incredible urge to make a trip down to the Wind Rivers and fish a few lakes. At least the Beartooths of Montana are very similar to the Winds though not as high. Ah well I guess there is next year. I miss WY having been born there before moving all across the country, spending several summer vacations in the Winds and two years in Laramie before I decided school and I didnt get along....lol. I hope you enjoy your trip to a wonderful state.

------------------
    Take care everyone and cya around. Mark

[This message has been edited by MarkKillam (edited 09 September 2005).]
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

Hey, Marco, If you have a little time, phone # is 382-2883, cell 350-4748. Maybe time for a cup of coffee?? What days thru Rock Springs? The Green near the Green River Lakes is fishing well, from some people with cabins near there, Hoback in the canyon is also doing well.

------------------
    Wyo-blizzard

[This message has been edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff (edited 09 September 2005).]
    Wyo-Blizzard

Hey there Steve, and a report you shall have.I'll give you a piece of it now in fact. " I could hardly believe the size of that cutt,28 inches".
    Mark- I know the feeling about leaving Wyoming. I did in when I graduated from UW but I left my heart there as you apparently have.
    Byron,"you've got mail". As I said, we're "loose" as to outbound. Schedule depends a lot on how cooperative the beautiful browns under the "trestle" are.
    We would have been on the road already but, of course, a job site problem. Leaving at 3:00 PM SHARP!!!!.
    Mark

I hear the place we're staying in Jackson has a wireless internet whatever so I'll take my laptop and try to stay in touch with y'all.

Marco,

Hope to see the two of you at the ID FI. (No chickens, alive) this time.
    You know it is only 5 hours from Lowell to the Ranch and we do have a guest house and the two of you would be welcome after or before the FI.
    I have two guys headed in this Tuesday from Texas for a week of Mountain fishing with me. Looks like the weather should be good. Liz & Fuzzy went "up high" over the LD weekend and caught more than Liz said she could count. I do plan on one day on my cutt lake where they went.
    C You

Denny

------------------
    Denny
    Denny@conranch.com
    Co-Owner Conranch Hackles
    Denny

+ Reply to Thread