+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Cabela's - Buda Tx

Default New Cabela's - Buda Tx

I'm "home" for a visit, and this afternoon I went to the newest Cabela's store. It was a little strange, sort of like taking a walk through their combined catalogs.

Jim

Hey there Jim;
    And I recall their first "warehouse" store in town in Sidney Nebraska. It was a " must stop" for me on my way to visit my son at Univ. Of Wyo. They are an example of what can be accomplished with integrity. From those humble beginnings to..........WOW.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

I live in Austin and have made the trip to Cabela's. I'll admit the store is huge and there is a lot of stuff there, but the prices aren't all that impressive to me.

They have trout ponds with many large trout in them. I guess some go over 21". They also have a 60,000 gallon warmwater tank with some of the biggest catfish, bass, and bluegill I've ever seen. I was pretty disappointed with the obvious holes in some of the fish caused by barbed hooks though. On some of them it looks like they've been shot through the top of the mouth and the wounded area has turned entirely black.

My wife refuses to go back because of their African animal exhibit. There are 2 stuffed elephants (or maybe 1, can't remember), about 4 stuffed lions, a couple hiyenas, three or four zebra, and some monkeys. I tried to explain that these were donated and Cabela's didn't commission for these animals to be killed, but she refuses to go back anyway.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to go there on my way back from fishing trips.

Tom, the first time my kids saw a hare's mask in my fly tying bin (they were 4 and 5) I quickly explained it had died of old age. Might work on your wife.

DM,

That won't work. Each animal has a plaque that says "Taken by (insert name here) in (insert year here)".

I agree about the pricing. Nothing exciting there. But as far as a "complete" outdoors store, I'd say they are clearly a step above Academy.

Jim

In the Dallas area we have bass pro and now over on the Ft. Worth side Cabela's. My son took some offense to all the stuffed animals but takes it in stride ( I reminded him he is much the carnivore ). Like Cabela's more ( better selection ) but the 30 mile one way drive at current costs clearly limits my trips.

------------------
    Jim Cook
    "There's nothing wrong with Wyoming lowering it about 3000 ft wouldn't fix!"

+ Reply to Thread