+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kids - then and now

Default Kids - then and now

There's been some ... interest / concern on how kids are raised in todays world - as parents - rightly so, we are concerned. We want behaved, respectable, loving kids.
    I have a problem with society butting into personal lives - and how it wants us to raise our kids ..... different people raise their kids differently - hence - different personalities (imagine if we all were raised the same .....)
    Anyhow, I received this today from one of my uncles ...
    Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.
    We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
    As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
    Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.
    We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
    We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
    We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!
    We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
    No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.
    We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
    We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
    We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.
    We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
    We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.
    We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!
    Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!
    The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!
    This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
    The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
    We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all!
    And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, show this to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!
    ________
    ohhhh, the difference a few years makes .....

Boy did that bring back some memories. My brothers and I out all day, rain or shine , coming home covered with mud head to toe, or covered in sweat and dirt. And I thought we were the only ones who were told to be home before the streetlights come on.

Rocky

darrell,

you made my day!!!!

your post brought back memories of playing with my younger brother. we played all the games, but especially baseball and softball. unfortunately my brother passed away 19 years ago at the age of 47, but i am still playing 5 games a week of senior league softball at the age of 70 and i will continue to do so until it is no longer fun!!

that is what kids of our generation did, had good clean fun and got plenty of exercise. it has worked for us for a long time and as the phone company says, "if it ain't broke - don't try to fix it.

thanks

mike

------------------

[This message has been edited by grumps (edited 29 August 2005).]

Didja all notice how often this theme is brought up here? Perhaps different approaches but same general idea. Must be that those are memories of GOOD, WHOLESOME experiences that made us who we are and we miss them very much. Oh to see a paper pull-tab milk bottle cap again.

Mark

Darrell; Good post!
    I remember the Mumps and Chicken Pox when the doctor made housecalls!! Coke syrup for an upset stomach and a good whoppin' if you did something wrong (and it was wrong!!)
    Sunday dinners in the Dining Room (which most houses don't have today!!).
    Kick the Can. Out doors all summer, no little league, just choose up sides. Pick out the sand burrs later! Blue Gill fishin' in "The Pond" etc., etc., etc.,!
    P. S. Frog Gigin'

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

LOVE it!!
    Fondly remember the gocart thing, including knockin' my buddy's obnoxious sister a** over tin cans due to no brakes. You should have seen THAT one...pretty funny! We also hit the vacant lots catching garter & black snakes, catching bumblebees in pickle jars, & catching crawdads & salamanders in local creeks. Used to catch a lot of bullheads in a junk yard pond down the hill.
    We were gone morning til Dad cranked up his "hand crank" siren he mounted on the back porch...that was our "dinner bell" until the old neighbor lady called the cops on him.....that sucker was LOUD! I'll bet we could hear that a dozen blocks away.
    Lots of great memories.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Blog Entries

We had no computer games, no computers, no cable TV. But there were vacant lots and creeks. There I learned lessons about hydrology that put in good stead when I went to college. We had yards that weren't hyper-manicured and hopped up on pesticides. We were allowed to dig holes in them. I learned a lot about soils and compost. We had gardens and learned bout the miracle of seeds. We had bugs and crayfish. We caught turtles and did't get salmonella. We caught snakes and lizards and toads. We caught fish and learned to throw back the small ones. We were allowed to grow up innocent.
    I feel so sorry for kids today

+ Reply to Thread