Take a job with you. There are jobs to be had in Bozeman, but none that will support a family.

Gallatin county is growing rapidly. What used to be fields and farms is now suburbs, and it just keeps growing. For me at least, it is kind of sickening to see how many houses sprouted in the valley in the last ten years. And forget having any of the named rivers to yourslef on a weekend, even in the dead of winter. Cars along the Gallatin on a weekend in April could be counted in the dozens last spring.

It will slow down the first time the temps drop below -40 for a week or two in a bad winter, tho. Figure on -20 every winter, for at least a week or so. But it is a dry kind of cold. Have a block heater in each of your vehicles and be prepared to drive on ice for months on end.

There is crime there. In the 4 years my wife and I lived in Bozeman and Belgrade (95-99) we were the victims of more crimes than both of us had been for the rest of our lives (and counting). Lot of stuff stolen, from our storage and from our vehicles and from our back porch.

Other than that, I would move back in a heartbeat if I had a job that would pay me enough to live there.