Well, I'm not familiar with Bozeman in particular, but I grew up in northern Idaho, so let me relate some issues with the region as a whole.

First, are you planning on working? If so, do you already have a job lined up? Employment (at a family supporting wage) is fairly scarce throughout most of the pacific northwest unless you're an engineer. I recommend you find out more about the employment situation of Bozeman before pulling the trigger.

Second, being so close to so many outdoor activities will be great for you and your son, but how does your wife feel about it? If she's supportive that's great, but if she's not the outdoorsy type you might need to find a compromise on city size.

Lastly, Have you checked out the quality of the schools in this area for yourself? Having been educated in Idaho (for high school anyway), I thought I got a great education. I certainly didn't learn as much as I had an opportunity to, but that's my fault, not the school system's.

I want to mention one last thing. It is just an observation and not a judgement of anyone living in the pacific northwest. While growing up I met many people who believed way too much in the stereotypes about minority groups. They weren't racist per se. They just didn't know any better because minorities are so few and far between in that region.

Since there were few minorities around to prove stereotypes wrong, people just believed them and automatically trusted minorities less than whites. I'm pretty sure your son has his own beliefs formed on racial diversity by now and, living in California, he will have a more educated view on it. Just don't be surprised when you hear somebody say "now I'm not racist, but you know how those black people are...."

I still hear people say garbage like that when I go back home to visit. It's incredibly difficult to hear someone say something like this an not laugh hysterically because you realize they've only met three or four black people their WHOLE life.