Yeah Act D. I remember those days. I was living in Amsterdam, Holland in the late 60's when the Dutch riled the Arabs and got their oil supply greatly reduced. So, the Dutch government instituted Carless Sundays. It was a great idea...people actually got out on the street and walked, meeting others all doing the same. The noise level in A'dam was pleasurable, the public transportation (buses primarily) thrived, air got cleaner etc. etc. etc. Maybe Hans W. can remember the time (but then again, Hans being the youngster that he is, maybe he was still in his dydies then.

As I recall, Carless Sundays went on for several weeks.

There was also something about you could only drive your car every other day - based upon whether the last didget of your license tag was odd or even. I don't remember the specifics though.

As mentioned earlier, having an effecient and complete public transportation system is the key towards cutting down on commuter traffic. BART in the SF Bay area is a pretty good example of what we can do in the US. The best public transportation system I know of is in Singapore....only the well-to-do or those with company cars "need" a car....one can live in Singapore quite well without a car and many many do.

Guys, we ain't gonna solve the problem here on this forum. It's good to talk about it though and maybe just maybe our respective (note I didn't say RESPECTABLE) legislators will eventually get us on the right track. I question the results though.

------------------
Snow on the roof but with fire still in the hearth