+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's a shop that has lost my business

Default Here's a shop that has lost my business

I have been using a local fly shop for quite awhile. I took my family to the Little Rock airport and figured as long as I was in the "Rock," I would hit the shop. I got to talking with the owner and said I couldn't wait for the weather to cool down since I have 3 new rods in hand or on the way. He asked what kind and when I told him TFO he started a "session" on why I would want "Cheap Korean crap." When I told him why I buy TFO, he had a comment about when a certain TFO spokesperson passes on, maybe a TFO rod can be strategically placed. I walked out and will not return to that store. I have purchased 2 full rigs... rod, reel, backing, line and case for the price of one of the rods he recommends. Oh well... I like my TFO and have had nothing but excellent service from them. I had a question on lines for a 2 and 3 weight and would a certain Mastery line be better on a 4 than another. I had an e-mail back from Rick Pope within an hour that broke down the different Mastery lines that Lefty tried on TFO. I ended up with an 8' 2WT with a DT XPS, a 7'6" 3WT with an XPS DT also and a 9'4 with the XPS in a WF. I'll do a report on the lines when it gets cool enough for me to head out. Heat and humidity and my arthritis don't mix.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

If those TFO fly rods work for you, more power to you. I know the fly shop guy wants to sell some rods but he does need to learn a new technique. If he handled the TFO brand you know he would tell you they're the best rods around.

Mike,

I've seen the same attitude around a bit too. Mostly when an owner or rep is trying to push a different Name. (and not just for "buy inshore" arguments).

Too bad ... leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

JC, ...
    ...a guy has the right to succeed... or fail. He has made his choice.
    Very nicely said, ... can I quote you on that on occassion?

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:516d9]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:516d9]
    Christopher Chin

i've gotten more than one 'lecture' from fly shop guys. why in the world would they do that?

Blog Entries

Mike,
    Would you forward the info to me about the different lines. I have a new TFO rod that I haven't bought a line for yet.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

JustWondering... (what did you use this shop for?)

Rich

I was thinking on the same lines as Rich.

I'm sure it wasn't your intent, but if you were the shop owner and some guy came in and bragged that he had bought three rods, with an itch to get out and fish them, what would your reaction be? Taking into account that he didn't buy them from you and they were not a brand that you carry.

I'm not saying his bad mouthing TFO and Lefty was called for, but.........
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Steve... let me know what the line is you're looking at. I misplaced the info... possibly deleted it... but I may find an answer for you.

I had only bought tying supplies at this shop. We had in the past talked about different rods but there never was any intent shown by me to buy from him because I can't afford his prices and have told him so. He knew where I stood all along. Maybe the comment on the product started me going out the door and the slam directed at Lefty finished it off.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

Having made my somewhat meager living in Retail for some time now, I feel qualified and obligated to add to this discussion.

I would never run down someone else's store, product or service. It does no good. I will let a customer know the benefits of my store, product or service over another. I will also never get angry with a customer who tells me " I can get that at (insert name of some other store here) for half the price. I will explain that sometimes they are cheaper/better/available here and sometimes there. Products are products and I have no control over the quality, price or any thing else in my store. I do however control my attitude and demeaner when dealing with customers.

I, like MD, will not use some retailers because of the service I have gotten (or not gotten) but I will never hold the retailer responsible for the quality, price or availability of the product.

My $.02

Clint

BTW Maddog, it was Al Finley who said the line in your tag, and was reported by Pat McManus. I am sure everything Pat writes is factual and certainly not fiction.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

tyflier

No one has the right to be disrespectful that's for sure. But I can understand how an independent shop owner could get up set under these circumstances. From Mike's thread it is obvious that this guy did not handle things well.

Also times have changed. Use to be the fly shop was were you had to go. Now all the big sporting goods retailers are selling fly fishing gear. And some of the big box stores as well. Kind of pushing the independent out of the way. Same thing happend with independent gas stations once convenient stores popped up on every corner selling gasoline along with milk.

So we buy great items made over seas that if and when they break we send em back and brag about great customer service. Maybe I should be ****** because what few rods I have are made in the USA and in over 40 years of fly fishing haven't broken a one. I feel as if I may be missing out on something.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

+ Reply to Thread