+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rip-Off

Default Rip-Off

I wanted to get an item that, in the last few years, has been somewhat difficult to get. But recently it's become more available. So Saturday I called a shop and was given a price that seemed excessive but I was going to buy it anyway. Then when I asked about shipping I was told $5. Now this item can fit in an envelope and wouldn't cost more than $0.50 to mail (please no comments about handling, time involved, etc. I'm very familiar with direct and indirect expenses). Anyway, I did not place the order.

I called another shop and the person gave me a price that was 1/2 of what the first shop quoted for the identical item. To boot, shipping was $1.85. Needless to say I ordered the item(s), several as it turned out, through the second shop.

Allan

nighthawk Guest

Hey Allan,
    There seems to be lots of that going on these days. We ship lots of small items out for the military parcel post and I think the most expensive shipping cost I have seen is $3.85. That includes the packing materials and labor. I am very suspicious of those things that you pay $6.00 shipping and get the item for free. Nothing is free. You made a good choice.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

In the words of Patrick Henry,"Give me liberty, or give me death!"

A lot of places make money on the
    shipping.
    They sell the item at less than
    MSRP and make up the difference
    with the higher shipping cost.

You only make out good if you
    place a large order. Get some
    buddies to go in on an order.

My .02 worth.

------------------
    **MW**

Big shipping costs and a low product cost is very common on ebay too. The reason is ebay has no fees on shipping!
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

As a buyer and seller on E-Bay, I found out that I could get all of my packaging free from the USPS and have it deliverd right to my house. That saves me $$$ and time and I always try to pas that on to the buyer and I never charge mroe than the USPS rate plus insurance on high dollar items. I have found some peopel selling on E-Bay that will not drop a cent on shipping and insurance and others, who sell a lot of stuff on there have a quoted price on shipping of multiple items that they will back off of on the smaller items. In the end analysis, it is all about Customer Service and whoever is the best will get the business...sorry to hear that the first shop you called was so fixed on making the shipping a black line on their P&L...

Actually, I wasn't that upset with the shipping charges as much as the attitude I detected in the person's voice. That plus the fact that the product was being sold at a price I felt was excessive. I wanted 3 of an item and this shop wanted $10.99 each. I ended up ordering it elsewhere for $5.99 each. Bottom line was $37.97 + tax, versus $19.82 plus tax.

Allan

Apparently there are a tremendous number of sales made on Informercials....let's say there is no profit in the item...I doubt that is true most of the time...but what if there isn't... but you overcharge one dollar on shipping and handling...there are millions involved on some of these things....

------------------
    Respect Your Elders!

what state might that shop be in...if i may ask that......don't need names..just where itis out of..I like a certian shop in PA....and Hope is that it's not that one...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

bill,

Didn't and don't want to get any more detailed than I did. Suffice to say, not PA.

Allan

I know the feeling. The other day I was wanting to purchase 6 small, identical items at $5.95 each-Online. The shipping was 12.95! So I did not go through with it. Found another merchant that had the same price on the goods with only $9.95 shipping. I thought that was too high-but better. Then noticed during the cart checkout that an additional handling charge of $8.89 was being added to the shipping. $19.00 S&H for six small items athat would fit into my hand?

Bottom Line-I am still shopping...

Buyer beware and know all of the details..f

+ Reply to Thread