+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thread missing

Default Thread missing

I can't pull up the thread on..."Fly Fishing Ethics"...did it get out of hand????

------------------
    Respect Your Elders!
    Ducksterman

Jim Slattery Guest

Ducksterman,
    I pulled the thread. Apparently in my attempt to explore our practices and philosphies on fishing for Trout, admittedly over the top, tongue firmly in cheek, I must have personally, deeply offended some people.This was not my attempt, perhaps if I kept my tongue out of my cheek things may have not escalated into personal attacks upon me. My bad.
    While I won't nessecarily back down from questioning the use of some of these practices,I most heartily agree that in the good ol' U.S.A. you have the right to fish anyway you chose,as long as it's legal.
    As we evolve as fly fisherman, we respect our quarry more and more. As I said before , it wasn't that long ago the creed was kill what you catch the more you killed as proof, the better fisherman you were. Then the creed became limit your kill don't kill your limit. C&R sections have now become common place. These were all changed by by our evolving ethics.
    You are allowed to hunt for deer with shotguns not rifles , why is it? Is it not a more difficult way to bag your game ? Is it more "sporting"?
    With as heavy Trout get pounded can we not make fishing for them a little more challenging?
    Tyflier hit it right on the head about Trout "closing up" when they see strike indicators. It takes experience and skill ( plus some luck) to catch them. But not all trout are this wary, and SOME fishermen, not as skillful as the anglers that are able to catch the difficult trout Tyflier spoke about, MIGHT not be so skillful in there handling of the trout they catch.
    The absolute problem with this is once you start adding regulations more regulations follow. So what are we to do?
    In the long run , it's all about respecting the trout, the waters we fish and perhaps our methods we fish for them.
    Believe me if they try to outright ban fishing I will be right there with the rest of the fishermen , pounding on the door and screaming at the top of my lungs.
    Take care, respectfully,
    Jim Slattery

------------------
    [url=http://www.Jimsflyco.com:53306]www.Jimsflyco.com[/url:53306]

[This message has been edited by Jim Slattery (edited 01 July 2005).]

Thanks, guys.

I must say when I read the original post I thought it was so far out I felt it was indeed tongue in cheek and was meant to do just what JC immediately alluded to.

BUT....as it developed I learned something...e.g. I didn't know there are places regulated to dry fly fishing only....in thinking about it I see some logic... wets tend to get swallowed deeper at times making survival more of an issue...I guess if there can be fly fishing only places there can be regulations more and more "extreme"...anyway I learned something....always a good thing.

------------------
    Respect Your Elders!

+ Reply to Thread