+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honesty

Default Honesty

Was killing some time yesterday and visited a fly shop. Got into a conversation with the owner and was discussing a line of rods he carries. The conversation drifted to a specific 'top-of the line' rod which he sells and his comment was, "Excellent for distance casting but, for fishing, it's a piece of sh*t".

Sometimes words do express true meanings. Gotta love that type of honesty.

Allan

....now, when you start carping about the local shop owners; or, the "little guy" going out of business: do a search here on FAOL and read the number of incidents reported of maltreatment or ignorance over the past 5 years alone and stop defending these idiots.

And, stop taking the abuse and returning for more. Tell the idiot or the owner exactly why you're taking your business elsewhere, or firing-up Cabela's, BassPro or Gatti and getting the same product, probably cheaper, with good service and no ignorance or abuse!

It's 40 minutes away, but there is a great place in central Jersey called Sportsmen's Center. The fly shop is run by a fellow named Bob Atticks. Several years ago when I was learning to tie, I was there and asked him a question about spinning deer hair. He stopped what he was doing and took me to the tying table; sat down and proceeded to give me a lesson: NO CHARGE! Then, he had me do it to make sure I understood.

So, I make the drive when needed, and, buy tons of stuff....

P.S. There were other customers in the shop that he told in his low-key manner, "he'd be right with them, shortly." They all waited!!!!!

jsentell, RW here,

I lived in New Jersey all my life and moved to Maine when I retired. You are right about "The Sportsman's Center", located in Bordentown, NJ on Route 130. It is one great place and my friends and I probably spent more money on outdoor stuff and hung out there more than all the other places combined. Good Service..good products and knowledgeable clerks. It's one reason you could never find a parking place on the weekends...lol.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

JC, I think you missed his point. (Or I did.)

Sounds like Allan really respected the honesty of the shop owner for admitting his flagship rod was more for show than for dough.

And it's not hard to imagine the type of rod he was talking about: one of the 80 ksi "cannons" that are great for laying out 80 feet of line in a casting pool but have no feel when it comes to setting the hook or playing a fish on light tippet. It might work fine on the bonefish flats, but not be worth a hoot on his narrow Catskill streams.

------------------
    Idlerick

I'm still trying to figure out how a rod can be both a distance caster and a crapping fishing rod. Am I missing something here? I would think if a rod can cast it can fish. Maybe the guy casting the rod is a sh***y fisherman.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Touche' Terry! Took the words right out of my mouth.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

idlerick,

You got the point. Just slightly altering your phrase:

'the honesty of the shop owner for admitting his flagship rod was more for show and dough'.

Allan

I'm wondering what shop it was.

------------------
    Land Em',
    Carp

FC,

Sorry, but you'll have to keep wondering.

Allan

The word "Honesty" was used by tyeflies...I'm don't think honesty is quite right...his [the shop guy's] comment was inaccurate ....as JC points out.

You've got to respect the guy cause he at least said what he thought....but his thinking was in too small a box... I think you can fish with a "cannon"....pretty much what I want for steelhead....

------------------
    Respect Your Elders!
    Ducksterman

+ Reply to Thread