+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Albright Rod

Default Albright Rod

I just got an Albright EXS rod, and I have to say it is a beauty--a very attractive rod that casts like a cannon. Jim Murphy just continues to do great things for the fly fisher!

That may be the BEST rod for the value on the market today. It incorporates all the latest technology, but doesn't have the higher price associated with more well known brands. I have been looking at them very closely. Their split from Sage may be a windfall for the rest of us.

DMIcus,
    I went to Atlantic City and fished down around Ocean City. Had a blast but caught nothing. I fished will FAOL angler, "Philly". He took me to school on inshore salt water fishing. He also gave me some good pointers on my cast. All in all it was a great trip. Unfortunately I did not make it to White House subs though!!!!!!!!!!

AC

D. Micus, You have a great rod. I honestly believe that dollar for dollar they are the best fly rod on the market.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Dave Micus, What wt. or model did you get? Is it a striper rod or what? Just curious, what did you choose for a reel, I assume it wasn't the Abel.... Maybe Carling Black Label....

Sorry Castwell, I have to make the correction. Albright was never part of Sage.
    Sage purchased Redington...One of the former owners of Redington started Albright. No Sage association at all.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Are you folks talkin' up Albright just cuz they are a sponsor here on FAOL? I'm non-plussed by all of this chest pounding! Hmm... Albright.. Never heard of them.....

Wait, I take that back Just kidding. I actually fish an Albright EXS 7Wt 3 piece 9 foot rod and love it! It is my main surf flyrod for the local beaches here in SoCal. It has landed many fishes and casts very well with shooting heads.

I have an Albright 2-hander-the 1308-3-a 13 footer. No chance to fish that one yet. Taking that one up to AK to fish Kings in 13 Months....

Almost forgot I have an Albright Saltwater 6WT too-the 906-4SW . Dang, I really want to try that in the Bays for croaker with a long leader and a floating line. Maybe soon!

Jim and company are top notch and it is cool that they help sponsor this site.
    Rich

[This message has been edited by flymaker2 (edited 24 June 2005).]

I can't believe I actually agree with you on something. I got two of their cheapest rods (the GP) and one of their mid range reels and I can say that I think they represent the best value in the industry right now. Finish work is great and they cast way better than anything else for that kind of money.

Benjo, I can't believe you have an inexpensive rod!!! And I thought we agreed on the Beavis and Benjo show!

Backbeach, I got the 9 ft. 9 wt., matched it with one of their tempest 3 reels, and I couldn't be happier with the set up.

Acorbin, I would have went to white house sub befoe I went fishing!!! But glad you had a good time--ocean city is a very nice area. but fess up, the rumor is you gambled your fly rod away at Ceasars palace

[This message has been edited by D. Micus (edited 25 June 2005).]

You are right Ladyfish.

I was told by the folks at Albright (Chris), that they were Redington and were purchased by Sage. It appears that they were not satisfied with the direction of Sage with regard to Redington, so they left what is I guess Sage or Sage/Redington and started Albright. I believe that it was also either stated or inferred that Redington would provide Sage with brand access into a lower end market, although Redington is not at all a low end brand to me. I believe that the newer research and technology would now however all be going into Sage, at least at first. This lack of brand development in Redington by Sage prompted their departure from what at that time was I guess Sage, or Sage/Redington!?!?! I also believe I understood them to say that much of the technology in their EXP is VERY similar to the high end Sage models. In essence, I believe that they left Redington after they had been with Sage if that makes sense!?!?!
    Thus the statement.....

Quote:
    ---------------------------------------------
    Their split from Sage may be a windfall for the rest of us.
    ---------------------------------------------

Ironically I stayed at Caesar?s, but I don't gamble!?!? I have enough vises already. Fly Fishing is greatest among them!! Also, the room was not as nice as I had expected. Next time I will stay at Bally's or the Tropicana!!!

AC

[This message has been edited by acorbin01 (edited 27 June 2005).]

ac, the fact that you spelled it 'vises' says it all...

i worked security at bally's when i lived down there...what a job!

+ Reply to Thread