+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: software warning - spyferret

Ray, the little light bulbs may not be appearing in the browser you are using because of an issue with the bulletin board program and your browser. Internet Explorer browser will display the bulbs but other browsers may not. The condition of the bulb, on or off, is determined by the cookie. You may still have the cookie but the graphic is not displayed in your browser.

Marco: Yes, Brophy Bros is still there. let me know if you get back this way and I'll join you for a drink!

How's Fox Lake and the rest of the chain? The last time I was there it was very polluted. Heard they cleaned it up.

------------------
    Joe

Flyfisherjoe;
    The "chain" is just not my cup-o-tea for fishing or anything. It HAS been cleaned up but...........
    We haven't been to Santa Barbara in about 10 years so we're ( wife and I) are looking forward to it again. We make an annual ( March) visit to our friends in Carmel and take that opportunity to "radiate" from there. In the last few years we've generally stayed in the Carmel area or North to San Fran, Napa, Mendocino etc. so we're due to do Santa Barbara again soon. You live in a beautiful area and the restaurants ain't too shabby either. Got to meet Dan'l Boone ( Fess Parker) at his winery the last time we were there. Is Joe's still there downtown? Great ice cold salsa. There was also a restaurant just slightly up the hill where I left a mortgage payment.It was part of a very exclusive resort/spa ???
    In any case, I'll let you know if we'll be there. It would be nice to meet you.
    ALSO: Since I have your attention and you have demonstrated an apparent understanding of computereeze, maybe you can help. I cannot get into the FAOL chatroom. Whenever I try to do so, I get a message " VolanoChat Server. The VoalnoChat applet failed to connect to the VolanChat server: You may be trying to connect through an HTTP proxy server. The VolanoChat applet cannot connect to the VolanoChat server through an HTTP proxy server since it doesn't communicate using HTTP. Try switching the connection to a SOCKS proxy server or try using a network address translating (NAT) router for your firewall, if either of these options are available to you. VolanoChat works fine through firewalls using SOCKS or NAT. Your network administrator may be able to help change your settings to work with VolanoChat"

Who the hell is MY network administrator? I have contacted everyone on earth regarding this problem and the most popular answer seems to be " I don't have a clue".
    The puzzling thing is that when I was in Carmel with this laptop, using my my friends internet access via Comcast ( same as my home) I was able to get into the chatroom no problem.
    Do you perhaps have a " clue"?

Mark

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

1. Good grief Marco!! Are you back on that again?!?

2. Your poor cat!

3. So glad I use an Apple!!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Hey there Betty!
    Yes I'm still at it. As I said, I've contacted everyone on earth about this problem but maybe, just maybe, I missed someone so therefore my querry to Joe.

Tight Lines!
    Mark

Fly Fisher Joe,
    FWIW, I have anti-virus, firewalls, and anti-spyware software resident and updated daily on both computers.

The infestation I wrote about at the beginning of this topic happened despite all precautions. I assume that she failed to read some fine print at a website she surfed into - something we are all guilty of doing.

That ommission allowed more spyware and malware to be downloaded in one day than I have detected previously in all the years I've been using computers.

In the end, we are all vulnerable. I got scammed by SpyFerret's parent offshore company. Fortunately, my bank is helping me recover my money. All I can do today is warn others and keep my guards up.

------------------
    aka Cap'n Yid.

Stev Lenon, 91B20'68-'69
    When the dawn came up like thunder

Marco, I can imagine what the Chain has become. I remember driving up there and fishing by the bridge oh hwy 12? and catching many largemouth and an occasional northern along the rocky shoreline along the road. I would fish under the bridge and catch white bass 'til my wrist hurt.

As far as your chat problem, I would say that since your computer works fine at other locations the problem lies in your home setup. Do you use a router/firewall? If so the setting may be interfering with the Java. Try connecting the computer directly to the cable modem and see if you can get in.

If your not using a router, call your cable company for support.

slenon, do you use SpywareBlaster to protect your browser and block bad sites? If not, I would strongly suggest it. At this time SpywareBlaster has 3596 browser protections and bad site blocks in it's database. One of them could be the one that got your wife.

In addition to keeping all the "anti" software up to date you must also keep your browser up to date, especially Internet Explorer. Mozilla's Firefox browser is much safer to surf with, but it too must be kept up to date.

Do you still have the problem? You can run a program called Hijackthis and see what is loading that shouldn't.
    WARNING: Using that program to delete things requires a bit of knowledge and I don't recommend it for the average user.

------------------
    Joe

[This message has been edited by flyfisherjoe (edited 12 June 2005).]

Flyfisherjoe, I had a current copy of Spywareblaster on her computer and mine when the infestation happened.

One of the things Spyferret did was to selectively disable two items that SpywareBlaster had blocked. I e-mailed SpywareBlaster about this but haven't heard back, yet.

The problem vanished when I deleted Spyferret and removed the backup/restore points, then ran all the legitimate anti-spyware on her computer.

In researching Spyferret, after the fact, I ran across Hijack This. My opinion, right now, is that should I use it, I will ask for help in interpreting the results and following the cleanup directions. Thanks for suggesting this. However, unless the infestation recurs, I think we're OK for the nonce.

------------------
    aka Cap'n Yid.

Stev Lenon, 91B20'68-'69
    When the dawn came up like thunder

Try this, [url=http://securitytango.com/:abba6]http://securitytango.com/[/url:abba6]

------------------
    ~~ C
    Travel Adventures
    [url=http://go.travela.com/faol:abba6]http://go.travela.com/faol[/url:abba6]

marco try going to control panel
    internet options
    connections tab
    LAN settings
    under proxy server make sure both boxes are checked...
    I don't know if that will help but that is how mine is set up. if not remember the way it was b4 and put it back...
    hope this helps

Hey there Sacfisher;
    Thanks for taking time to help . Unfortunately when I checked both boxes under the LAN settings tab, I couldn't even get on the internet. The only option I have left is as I think JC suggested, try to connect outside of my area or house.
    Thanks a bunch anyway.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

+ Reply to Thread