+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The real meaning of Memorial Day

nighthawk Guest

Default The real meaning of Memorial Day

To me it isn't picnics or bbq unless such events are held with the intent to honor our fallen comrades in arms. It is a time to gather together to share the stories of our comrade's last full measure of devotion and why they died for us. It is a time of sadness and a time of joy. It is a time of celebration in honor of those that have died for our freedom. It is a time to remeber that we must keep their honor and assure their friends and family that their loved ones did not die in vain. It is a day to remember that these brave men and women of our armed forces died for our right to live in peace and liberty. God Bless all of our fallen comrades , their friends and families. I will be thinking of all of you as I watch the Memorial Day Parade in our small community. I am forever in debt to my fallen brothers and sisters.

Just my opinion folks and I would enjoy hearing yours. Here is a web site you might enjoy [url=http://www.ishaah.com/Freedom3.cfm:070fa]http://www.ishaah.com/Freedom3.cfm[/url:070fa]

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

Your attitude determines your altitude!

Eric,
    Colleen teaches 4th grade in a poor small rural district (northern boundary of the Appalachian poverty belt) & they use old school buildings. Her building houses the entire districts' 3rd & 4th grades. Today, for the 1st time, I was able to attend the annual Memorial Day tribute to veterans there which, I think, is in its 7th year. A 4th grade girl sang "God Bless America" (beautifully, I might add), we all sang "THE Star Spangled Banner", did the Pledge of Allegiance, and then the program continued. They played our service branch songs & all us veterans were asked to stand when the pianist played ours. Then we were asked to stand up front, individually go to the microphone & give our name, service branch & what years we served. After a standing ovation, each vet had a student come up & hand us each a round pin with our flag & an eagle printed on it. Then the students stood with "their vet" & we all sang Lee Greenwoods' "I'm Proud To Be An American". I don't think any of us vets sang the whole song...too busy dryin' our eyes!! The best was yet to come....my count was 8 little guys & gals holding up pictures 0f their "Brothers", "Sisters", "Uncles", & "Daddies", while reading poems about how they loved, missed, & were proud of their beloved deployed family members. At that point, you'd have had to have been a statue to have dry eyes.
    I WILL be at that program every year! It was a beautiful tribute that I wish all of you could have experienced.

"Through the eyes of a child...."

Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Hey Tuber and Eric;
    With folks like you, I think we have a chance. Y'all can share my stream anytime and I hope soon.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

Just reading it makes one puddle. Grand posts.
    .....lee s.

The true meaning of Memorial Day. There's nothing like seeing life through the eyes of a child. Tuber... I feel like I was there with you. Great thread Eric.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

That was beautiful reading ohiotuber.I would have loved to have been there with my father.He was a Marine Corp Veteran of WWII.One of the local grade schools here on the friday before Memorial Day has the students bring in any of their relatives that are Veterans , and the school and the students honor those vets with a lunch and some kind of a small program put on by the kids.My father was proud to go with his granddaughters.

Rocky

Ohiotuber,

Now thats what memorial Day should be. Bless Coleen and the kids. That ought to go out on the AP for folks to read.

Heard a similar story about not being able to pray in school anymore. Maybe just one of those "urban legends"; but, reads great. Supposedly a high school graduating class of 92 kids wre going through their ceremonies and speeches etc. when one kid comes up to the podium and stands there silently for a few seconds. Suddenly all the kids in the audience loudly "sneeze" and the kid at the podium says,"God Bless You Everyone!" and then walks away to a standing ovation from all assembled there.

God Bless America and out troops!

Hey Mike,

That was a wonderful story. Thanks so
    much for sharing it with us. Warm regards,
    Jim

mike

took a while for me to be able to see the screen and type this. (eyes under water).

God bless you and every one that shares you views on Memorial Day.

thanks,

mike

nighthawk Guest

Mike, buddy how I wish I could have been there with you! I cried when I read your post. That Colleen is some kind of lady! Please give her a huge soldier's hug from me. My heart is bursting with joy and pride over those children. I know all of our fallen comrades would be very proud of Colleen, you and those great kids!

I have to tell you that the folks on this site are no doubt the salt of the earth. I salute you and may "God Bless you Everyone"!
    Have a great holiday compliments of those who gave the last full measure of devotion.

If I could show you a picture of the best part of being a soldier this would be the photo: [url=http://www.shadetreemechanic.com/images/mil%20gi%20me%20Five.jpg:20a20]http://www.shadetreemechanic.com/images/mil%20gi%20me%20Five.jpg[/url:20a20]

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

Your attitude determines your altitude!

[This message has been edited by nighthawk (edited 28 May 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread