+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ORVIS-poor customer service

About the only thing which would cause a rod to break at the ferrule is not putting it together properly or not waxing the ferrule...not Orvis' fault, yours

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Good Advice! I broke a multi-piece rod at the tippet ferrule simply by yanking on the line to pull it out of the rod. I did not notice it was wrapped around the tippet when I yanked. I told the manufacturer (Fisher) it was my fault but all they charged me to repair it was shipping costs. Very generous of them, I think. I wonder what happened to them? Do you know?

I have to say that while I am not a major customer of Orvis, the reason is not because of their service. I needed a reel part to fix my Orvis reel. I called customer service and they sent the part out at no charge. Nice, I thought.

I also think that if you had waders for 6 years, then you own them and their problems. It is beyond the reasonable required life expectancy of the product and any help from Orvis would be optional.

I have spoken with an LL Bean Customer Service Manager about these policies in general and they said that while they do honor their 100% guarantee then often get burned by people taking advantage of that. In the end, we all pay for those who take advantage by higher prices. LL Bean has had discussions about changing that policy, but to date have not done so. I think that the more people abuse these policies the more companies will be forced to change them.

This last comment is not ment to imply that anyone here is doing anything less than honorable, but it really is a commentary on those who do. A good warranty should take into account legitimate differences of opinion and customers who value that warranty should support it by being fair in their requests. If only the world worked that way.

jed

May have been an oversight with the #9 Trident, as the #6 weight Trident had a problem of coming apart & I just kept putting the 2 sections back together until I tried putting them together too hard & broke 2 of the snake guides. Sent it back to be repaired & it wasn't broken at the ferrule despite the # of times it used to come apart. Orvis sanded the ferrule & haven't had any problems with it since. Orvis did say it was a common problem with the Trident series. The #9 was probably my most fished rod over the past 9 years; & even with the little chap stick sized Orvis ferrule wax I've been applying to ferrules for over 15 years, I really didn't expect it to come apart even after the proverbial check the ferrule pause I had become so accustomed to with the #6 weight, & now almost every rod I fish with! Just one of those unexpected AAARRRGGGHHHs on the beach !

I wouldn't expect any company to replace 5 or 6 year old waders for free. Sorry but that's my opinion.

"Personally, just got a new fly rod to replace the Trident that broke at the ferrule while casting." I have seen that happen so many times on Orvis rods, and I have seen it happen to people who know how to use their rod and put it together. It's Orvis' achillies heel. I would not buy an Orvis rod for this reason. It doesn't happen from user error, I think the ferrule connection tolerance is not held to high standards causing some rods to slowly pull apart over the course of a day.

I will relate my experience. I posted some time ago about "expecting in 11 weeks" I was supposed to have the feathers within 11 weeks. I had ordered a platinum cape in grizzly. After 13 weeks I called and was told that they could not get the hackle. I expressed my agitation and that they would loose my business. I was immediately transfered to a manager. The situation was explained and I was overnighted a platinum light dun cape at no expense. The next day my money previously spent was put back on my card. Pretty impressive I think.

------------------
    <*(((((><
    Jim in CO

+ Reply to Thread