I rigged two identical Abel reels for a guy headed to Costa Rica with the paint job on them. Had them on special order because he had to have the paint job. Well that $300 paint job had to be rush ordered at the last minute(Literally arrived and delivered to his home 2 hours before his flight) because it took them so long.

I believe reels, backing, and line came to something like $1700. My question at the time to the owner of the shop was, " Why does he need two of them rigged exactly the same? He taking a buddy?" His answer, " His explanation was so that he could fish two different patterns.". Apparently rerigging your gear is an expensive trade nowadays, and the guide your paying hundreds of bucks to rent is oblivious to tackle.(And yes the owner tried to explain to him the two reels was unneccessary).

My point is.........Abel reels are fine pieces of equipment, but way too expensive for what you can get at half the price. Excellent equipment, but generally appeal only to the fad buyers........ guys who youve sold rods to for over five years yet always ask what leader they should take trout fishing. Course I have no room to talk as I just got into Sage rods *cough*