Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro-Communist Redington Marketing Thrust

Default Pro-Communist Redington Marketing Thrust

Well the second Redington ad in Fly Fish America has hit the streets with the new April 2005 issue.

Firstly, I called Redington and was told "no Comment" What is the boards comment?

Their first ad was a full page ad with Fidel Castro's image and some weak humor connecting his prowes as a leader to the attributes of a Redington rod.

This new ad is a mug shot-full page-Of Gorbie and says comrades around the world can fish redington.

I really fail to see the humour in these ads. I wonder who will be featured next? Not too many bad guys left that won't get the Homeland Security Office ruffled.

I think Hardy and Angel will sell more rods than Redington and the Commies.

Anyway-Redington is pissing me off...

Rich

Well Redington is a 'Left Coast' Company, so it should come as no surprise. But this is America.......Anyway, I agree, if you find their ad offensive, let them know and don't buy their product.

Maybe they have realized an untapped market in communist fly fishers. Fidel can't live forever, so maybe Redington is positioning themselves for a share of the fly rod market in Cuba once Fidel is gone. *G*
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

fm2,
    Sorry to hear you were offended by it. I personally think it is nice to be able to laugh at oneself.

Haven't seen the Gorbie one but thought the Fidel and Maggie ones were cute. I see it as humor poking fun at stereotypes of world leaders.

If homeland security doesn't like it... it is none of their business. The add does not promote terrorism or threaten national security. Homeland securit are terrorism police, not thought police.

jed

I'm less upset with their ads and more upset with their lack of customer service since they've been absorbed by sage...

(just a side note: i understand osama uses nothing but abel reels...something to think about...)

[This message has been edited by D. Micus (edited 10 May 2005).]

I've written them two or three times about a rusting problem with the spool release lever on their RS2 reels. Talked to a rep of their's at the fly fishing expo, too. This has been since February, and, to date, no response.

[This message has been edited by D. Micus (edited 10 May 2005).]

FYI-I did tell Redington on the phone that I thought it was poor ad series.

I think they could have come up with a hundred other ways to be cute. Why glorify commies in full page ads.

What If i don't like leaders who direct efforts against the US and happen to already own and use Redington gear?

Check the Buy/Sell/Trade ( just kidding )

And what about Dave Redington's good name being subjected to questionable ethics? I wonder if he is sorry that he ever sold the rights to his family name anyways.

I see the points made. I am not loosing any sleep and am not "hitting the chat rooms" or anything like that beacause of my distaste for this ad series. I have said all that I will say on this topic. Just thought I'd speak my mind. There. Done. Finito.

Rich

Osama?

I to do not understand the adds today? It must be the in your face type of TV we have now? The Fly Shop in Redding California has an add in a mag that I do not think is all that great. We always have to remember that children read these magazines and these web-sites. It is an add for there travel. There is a picture of a run down place on an island and on a boat in the picture pulled out of the water it say's in real plan english (and was made so you can read it real well if you look at the boats condition) "Stuck Up Sh3t Creek"
    Granted it is not that bad if it were just grown ups that read those magazines but kids read them to. I would think there would be an wasy way to say the same thing without making it "Stick" out so well. And yes I e-mailed the Magazine and the Fly Shop. Ron

Micus;

Your continued hounding (hatred?) of Abel is getting old. What's the matter....they wouldn't give you the writer/vendor discount? Your continued trashing of this company is bordering on paranoia. What in the world is up with this, anyway??

Dahema

Dahema,

Someone that won't even fill out the basic info in their user profile shouldn't talk about paranoia. Are you afraid to tell us about yourself?
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Closed Thread