+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tired of waiting...

Default Tired of waiting...

I get some time to use the computer, come here and see that the world still spins, with nekkid pyrates tellin' stories and the price of everything going up. Thanks to all who make this the entertaining and informative site it is!

Ice still covers this section of Lake Champlain. There is a moat of open water around this island, but it is narrow enough that even I can cast a line across it. It's going to be a few weeks before the boat gets launched. I am jealous of those who are able to do some spring fishing! By the same token, though, I am almost scared to go ashore; haven't had to buy gasoline since back in November!

I have tied more flies this winter than ever before. Mostly bass bugs, bubble-pups, etc. but thanks to inspiration from fellow FAOLers there are quite a few wool-head sculpins and such in the mix, too. Might even get to fish them some day! I'm tired of waiting!

Tight lines to all!

Obviously, it's been a long winter in a number of areas! Spring can't be too far off...can it?!?

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Keep the hope alive Tup. I thought that I would never see spring again with all the snow we got this winter. The Yulan and Kobus magnolias are just starting to flower here in RI yeehaa seeing as I am a tree guy. But there is talk about snow showers next week, kiss all those tender buds goodby to a nice brown slop if that turns out to be the case. I am planning on making a trip up to camp next weekend for ice out salmon but my friend up there tells me that unless it heats up I am out of luck.

Thanks again for the wool. I open the package up for the first time last weekend. You were right about that interesting barnyard smell. I hope to get some flies out your way in the next few weeks.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

I guess it is still early. Only April, after all! Too many years on the front range in Colorado got me all spoiled.

Nick, glad to have been able to share some of that barnyard aroma! You ought to let that stuff air out a bit. I washed it twice, so you can imagine what big old Monty smells like in person!

The worst thing about waiting for spring this year is that the temps are very nice and we've had lots of sun but the ice is just sitting there! It pulled away from the edges a bit as the water level rose this week, but it hasn't wiggled or cracked or shifted one little bit. Maybe we'll get a good wind to start pushing it around.

Man, this was a long terrible winter, now that all the damn snow is gone, the rivers are flooded due to all the rain and melt off...We can't win!
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

I feel your pain guys, it seemed every time it got nice here, it would quickly change to snow. It has finally been nice for about 2 weeks and I hope it is here to stay. I had been fishing locally regardless of the cold, but that just gets old real fast.

Now that it is warm I have gotten to take my 4 year old out a few times and he seems to love it. Don't worry spring will reach you guys too.

Ben

Tup,

I feel your pain . I used to live in Underhill. Its two seasons up there, Winter and the 4th of July (or three if you count mud-season). Hang in there, 'cause when the weather gets good, you'll love it again.

jed

tyflier,

You crack me up. A little off topic here but you say the up the flows to 500cfm on the Owens River. Hah, that doesn't even make a good tributary. The Skagit, my home river, is running 11000 cubic feet per second. Thats per second not minute and it is running way below normal.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

nighthawk Guest

Guess I am lucky to have a sink full of yellow perch and crappies to clean tonight. Hang in there Tup because spring is on the way!

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

sure is nice to live in Idaho where we fish all winter the only thing you need to change is your flys and your waders.

Rich

+ Reply to Thread