+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bass Show on ESPN

JC,

Lately I would have trouble taking them out on a rainy day let along a cold rainy day.

There something not right about steelheading in February in a t-shirt. On the 28th the air temp was 61 degrees on the Skagit with bright blue skies. This is just not right.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

RonMt
    As a boy, I was fishing the river that flows past my house (and occasionally through it) with a friend and we were really cleaning house on the Small Mouthed Bass. We were staying late because we got a late start and we wanted to fish until the moon came up.

We could hear some fishing profanity coming from a boat that was drifting down from above. We were fishing with Heddon rods of 8 1/2 and 9 feet which we had "borrowed" from a closet in his house. "Oh my aching butt" said my friend, Gene. "Do you know who those idiots are?"...I listened again and said "yeah those are the same guys we caddied for the other day! We ought to flip their boat over on top of 'em". (We had carried those heavy bags around 18 then an additional 9 holes and when we were done, they gave us each 25 cents each. Our parents would not let us "charge" but we were to accept whatever was offered. I think our mothers were trying to stear us into a life of beggars or something! But even our parents were a little miffed when we told them about it. The temperature that day had to be 180 degrees.

I heard the big fat guy say "those kids caught a fish lets drop the anchor"...ka splash and they pulled up right in front of us and began throwing big surface plugs with all manner of gadjets and trebble hooks hanging from them. I could tell what kind of reels they were using just from the sounds. A Langley locust would go whizz...zit...zit...ka splash. Then you'd hear "#%$^&@+## another backlash". Then the South Bend Buzzard reel would sound off...buzzzzzzzz and would end up with a similar zit zit splash! This would be followed by another string of naughty words from the other guy. Gene and I were regularly turning back small bass. Then the skinny guy hooked a bass and immediately stood up and began reeling like mad. A fair fish was hauled aboard but the skinny guy almost fell in the drink because of it. He was so proud of that twelve inch bass. He turned to us and said, "Now THATS how its SUPPOSED TO BE DONE". About that time Fatso hooked a small one, not much longer than the plug he was casting. He Looked our way and said "well here's one for the purists, HA HA HA!" (I never heard of elitists in those days, just purists). Dang! now I'd really like to turn their boat over but I had the presence of mind to maintain self control and I let them away with it. Then a huge bass jumped clear of the water about two points off the starboard bow and the skinny guy said "Judas! did you see the size of that fish?" I said, "Yup and I got Him"! A couple of secconds later Gene was into a similar bass and his reel was screamin' bloody murder. The fat guy looked at the fish with eyes like saucers and sez "Well we each caught about 10 fish today, how many did you kids catch?" Just got here at 6:30...I quit countin at 25 and Gene did about the same as me. Three of 'em were bigger than those last two. Then the skinny guy said "Hey are you guys leavin?" The moon was coming up.
    Do you think the powers that be would have allowed us to catch those big bass if we had dumped those guys? I don't know but its been 60 years now and if it happens again I'll not be so considerate!

Ol' Bill

Bill Dance's bloopers now those are classics. I have never seen anyone break so many rods, even my father who goes through at least two a year. Good thing he doesn't have to pay for them or he would go bankrupt. He also likes to swim a lot. *G* That's quality entertainment from a bass guy.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

Hey Kerry

I did just that . . . I took a professional Bass angler Steelhead fishing here locally in Upstate NY. He was lucky because it was late November and it wasn't real cold yet (30F). He was not a fly angler so I armed him with a spinning rod, a good float and a fly to drift underneath it.

Guess what, he said it was the most fun he's ever had fishing. IT was one of those days where the fish really cooperated and were eating real well. Come to think of it, it was one my best days of Steelheading ever. We lost track after landing more than 20 fish, mostly in the 6 - 10lb range. We did have 4 fish in the high teens.

The touring pros have to work very hard to make a living. The stress levels are VERY high so the fun levels are often very low.

He now makes an annual pilgrimage to chase Steelhead up here with me. One of these days, I'll put a fly rod in his hand

------------------
    Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish
    If it has fins and swims than I must chase it!

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

"Now If I am not mistaking there is a Yellowheaded guy from Oklahoma that Bass fishes (Has his own show) and kisses every bass he catches? I have also watched guys in those Bass tournaments kiss fish that they catch. Now I do not know about you but in all the years I have fished and guided for trout I have seen just one trout kissed and that was by a lady and her husband told her she had to do it as it was her first one."

The "Yellow-Headed Guy" was former B.A.S.S. National Champion Roland Martin. I beleive he is an Insurance Salesman in Oklahoma, now.

I just don't understand this characterization of us Fly-Fishers as strange people. I, for one, have never kissed a trout full-on-the-lips. That's perverted! I usually just hug them, blow in their ear and turn 'em loose.

Gigmaster---Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.........

+ Reply to Thread