+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Rant!

Default Big Rant!

I need to get off some steam about something that happened last night.

Quick background: I was one of a handful who started the process of establishing a local chapter of the FFF. However, when it did get established, and I saw that the group had other goals then the ones I had in mind, I did not join. That was 4 years ago. Since then I have continued a limited association with the group. I attend most meetings, am often asked to provide information and/or guidance, participate in some programs, help out most of the time and have volunteered many hours. All this even though I am a non-voting 'guest' at their meetings.

So, at the meeting last night, this is what happened: There is a full day educational program coming up and plans are being made. Within that program will be door prizes and I brought something to donate for that purpose. Before I made that donation however, there was an agenda passed out describing some up-coming events. I noticed that a 'guest speaker' was being scheduled for an up-coming meeting and he was going to be paid a nice chunk of money. I mentioned to one of the members that I don't think we should pay that money. (BTW, we don't pay local people, some very knowledgeable, who make similar presentations)
    He got a little ticked and told me, "How we spend our money is none of your f***ing business. You're not a member!" Well, I didn't say another word about it or anything else during the meeting I also put the item I had intended to donate back in my jacket pocket. I will honor the commitment I made to participate in this up-coming educational program but that's it.

That's my rant. Now, here's my question: As a non-member, should I speak to the club president about this?

Allan

[This message has been edited by tyeflies (edited 08 March 2005).]

I would! And i'm sure he'd be grateful for your input. Treating non-memebers that way doesn't sound like a good way to make them become members!

Allan,
    In my experience with a number of groups, you are probably more active, hence more valuable, than many of the "voting members. The other part is "respect". NO one deserves a response like you got, and I would certainly say something. Micus is right, that person's approach doesn't sound like a very good member recruitment approach.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I think you should speak out. Was the person who told you to be quiet speaking for himself or was he expressing the FFF policy. If you do not get satisfaction I think that the following logic would work wonders re-establish your relationship with them.

If they are paying the guest speaker, and not you, from now on you should demand pay as well. Both you and the other guest call into the same category (non-members). Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

jed

[This message has been edited by Jed (edited 08 March 2005).]

Hi Jed,

Appreciate the thought. No, I haven't been a guest speaker. Last year this organization paid one about $300 plus travel. Among other comments I heard were, "not worth it" and "waste of time". Now they are going to pay another speaker $250 (he may well be worth it). However, the group has a couple of members who will be giving lengthly presentations and they will not be paid. I don't think this is necessarily fair.

Allan

Allan,
    I pretty much agree with what's been said but I am curious.

I sounds to me like you've been quite supportive of this group. Aren't you enabling them as much [maybe more] than if you paid dues?

Not being judgmental truly just curious.

Allan, I'd tell the prez. Perhaps he could take this guy to school about "how we treat our guests" or at least he'd become aware of a potential problem in the group. Knowing him a little, I'd say he'd like to know.

I've always been amazed at how willing groups are to part with their money one day and completely unwilling the next. Amazed, but not surprised.

Which brings me to this. A guy once suggested a policy to me that I'm trying to follow. Criticize me if you want, but it helps my sanity. "Never go to an indoor meeting about an outdoor hobby."
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Aren't fishing groups fun? That is why I do not belong to any of them. I donate to them when asked but other than that I do not want any part of it. Been there done that. I will go and help them on river clean ups and such and like I said donate flies and other things to them but will not be a member of them. To much back biting for me. Ron

RON MT.......Ditto........

As a member and a master, I am a bit embareasssssed you were treated that way.unfortunatly your club has big shot idous and think they get more if they spend more.(dumb) in every place I have ever been there is as much (sometimes more) talant close by as you can hire from out side. but the expert is always from out of town. But I will say if you want it changed, join up run for office and change it!!! it is kinda like bithing about goverment and not voting.

Rich

+ Reply to Thread