+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Big Rant!

From the FFF Code of Ethics:

... As part of our efforts to educate through fly fishing, we believe that ETHICAL BEHAVIOR is a key component of the angling experience. While the need to preserve for all anglers the natural beauty and quality of fisheries for future generations is paramount, CONSIDERATION for fellow anglers cannot be overlooked.

FFF believes it essential that fly anglers in all waters embrace an ethic that embodies consideration for the environment AND FOR OTHERS whether they are fishing or not. This Code of Angling Ethics complements the Catch and Release philosophy that is the hallmark of the Federation of Fly Fishers and reflects the importance of ethical behavior for all anglers. Moreover, it provides a framework for improving the angling experience by combining consideration of the fishery with RESPECTFUL CONDUCT towards fellow anglers. Overall, the policy denotes a journey in ethical behavior for fly anglers and not a destination.

Person-to-person and person-to-resource ethics go hand-in-hand.<<

The pompous arse who treated you that way shamed the Federation and embarrassed those of us who agree to the above statement. Perhaps someone suggest to him he read the FFF Code of Ethics.

At the risk of sounding like Beavis and Buthead's School teacher, "Can't we all just be friends?"

Ol' Bill

personally if i was in a club, that could afford to pay a guest speaker, but then had to raise money to work on needed projects, i would say the priorities are askew.
    dump 'em and find a better organization!

Allan:

To be treated like that to me was an insult. I have seen your activity in the Guild and your willingness to always help. I think people at times do not like to be questioned on what they are doing. It's people like this that makes a club or organization bad. I also agree why pay for a guest tyer when there are som many talented local tyers available. A prime example is the guild. Your being a guest tyer one Saturday afternoon at the Guild meeting taught me how to tie comparaduns. I now tie them nicely and they look pretty. Sure this may be an easy tie for me now, but two years ago I did not know how to tie this fly. It was a member of the guild that taught me how to tie this. I did'nt see a big payroll placed in your hand that day. If it was, then Dave Brandt distracted me with going to get a beer. So when people treat me like this in a club, I too also leave. Yes some people in the club will lose out in the long run, but I know that once some one starts treating you like this, they will not stop this behaviour until you leave or they are thrown out. Finally how a club spends it's money should be open and questioned by all, meaning members and non members who are thinking of joining or who participates to help the club in any event or function. Sorry to here your issue, but that club does not realize what it lossed with your leaving.

Andy B

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I'm not sure what FFF is, but here is my take on the incident. While I don't know what led up to the incident for sure ( I was not present), the use of the F word in public was inappropiate, and if he had done it around here to anyone, regardless of provocation, he would've been severely (and possibly physically) reprimanded by everyone within earshot. In my neck of the woods, you can, and will be thrown in what passes for a jail here for using that kind of language in public. It is called "Public Misconduct" and carries a penalty of up to 3 days in jail and/or a $150.00 fine. It was reprehensible and uncalled for, no matter what the issue was. It is inexcusable.

As for paying an out of town 'expert', it is unethical to pay an out-of-town speaker a fee if they are not paying locals when they speak. A Speaker is a Speaker regardless of what ever else they do for a living on other days, or where they live. Now, it would probably be OK to cover their travel, food and lodging expenses as a courtesy to an out of towner, if all the members agreed. It makes no difference if I am a CPA during the week. If I am asked to speak on Fly-Fishing, or whatever, on Fri. night, then for that night, I am the 'Expert', and entitled to all the perks and advantages of such, whether I live up the street or in Bangladesh! It's called RESPECT. A persons' time from another city is not worth any more than your friends' and nieghbors'time.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Semper Fi!

[This message has been edited by Gigmaster (edited 28 March 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread