+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why Fly-fishing is not more popular!

Dr. Fish..
    Maybe it isn't quite the time but you can rest assured it is coming, unfortunately, to that shop owner. If his retail space is desireable, I would keep my eye on it, I would say it will be available before too long. such a shame...

Fly Fishing is not very common where I live but 60 miles to south of me in Wichita, the sport seems to be growing. Most of the gear I own was purchased from Cabela's, Bass Pro and Ebay. It's not very practical to drive 120 miles to pick up supplies. I do visit fly shops and the Harley dealer in Wichita once in a great while and I'm always treated with respect (even by the Harley dealer).

I'm sure if I had access to local fly shops, I would probably do a lot of business with them.

Jeff,
    We've all been there!

The last job I had took me through a large portion of upstate New York and I made it a point to visit some of the fly shops along my route. I've tried to determine why some owners and employees display what is perceived to be the "attitudes" you have described. I can think of a lot of reasons but can't nail it down.

This one stands out though,IMHO the shop owners, particularly new ones and the fisher are actually intimidated by eachother, at least for a while. Selling fishing tackle is not like selling hamburger...Its more like selling aged tenderloin steaks. The butcher is darn shure that he knows his business better than his customer. He exudes confidence and is always in control...and that's what the customer wants. Occasionally he'll come up against a customer that knows or thinks he knows tenderloin steaks and intimidation results but the butcher has the cleaver.

In most cases, the tackle shop owner does not know everything...he knows he doesn't and he feels intimidated by the fisher who heaven fobid might know something that he doesn't. IMHO a wise owner will take a laid back attitude and pick the customers brain. (assuming that he has one) he can learn something new and the customer will get a feeling of importance. The customer also learns from this exchange.

Woe to the shopkeeper who makes the mistake of trying to hide his ignorance by piling on the BS. It doesn't take a knowledgeable fisher long to spot that attitude. If he learns he over comensates and takes on the familiar haughty attitude. (he's now afraid to say anything for fear of making a mistake)

A lesser fisher will probably try to pile it higher and deeper than the owner was able to do and both become flustered...bad feelings result and if the condition is not nipped in the bud a shop can spiral down into oblivion.

I have seen this scenario a good number of times and it is usually followed by the owners mistaken notion that someone is underselling him and he begins to offer deep discounts. He gives away his profits then finds that the work he is putting in is not worth the time spent. And another shop slides into the frog pond.

If the new shop owner is the only one around we should be thankful that he's there and treat him with kid gloves. He'll become an asset to our fraternity if supported.

What do you think?

Ol' Bill

Snipe, call me old fashioned. I think the seller bears the burden of being friendly, helpful, respectful and cooperative. The customer's only obligatory role is to be civil. It's the seller's responsibility for the success of his business, not the customer's, IMHO.

Jim

Nowindknots,
    Yes, agreed but these guys can be made of ice and they are not too good at accepting criticism. As sales personnel they stink! As knowledgeable fishers they might be great or not so great but that matters not! They should be upfront about it. They can say "I don't know from experience but this is what has been working lately". "This line has been our best seller for a year now, and the boss still thinks its the one!" "Go ahead and open that drawer, there are alot more nymphs in there". "I don't know what's the best leader material but our biggest seller is.........and thats what most of the guides around here use". "No,that hatch has wound down I wouldn't buy too many of those now. Better take a few stone flies instead, The fly tiers can hardly keep up with the demand for them now".

I think that you might better hire a girl from the 5 and 10 cent store to do your selling than pull a non sales type from the fishing fraternity!

Ol' Bill

Blog Entries

About the pigeon. My wifes cousin has a house we stay in a couple times a year that's in a resort town . A few years ago I wanted to start flyfishing during these trips so I went to the store with the fancy outdoor gear, ready to buy. I knew nothing at all what I was in for with the prices but when the salesman (a guide) learned my budget he came up with a package for me and recommended some flies and where to fish. I was out of there for about $250. After fishing for three years with this equipment, meeting other fishers,loving it and learning alot more about it I realize he did me a huge favor. I stop in and spend a few bucks whenever we're in town. That $250 was probably more dear to me than the couple G's the guy in the Cadilac spent.

I live fairly close to a lot of good fly fishing, and there are quite a few flyshops within an hour of my home. There was one in town, but it closed shortly before I moved here. I found one that I really liked, (it was run by a very pleasant, very attractive young woman,) but it also closed. Now I divide my time between shops in the Scranton area, the upper Delaware, or in Roscoe. I have had no complaints about any of them, including the one in Roscoe mentioned previously. Maybe it's because I'm old and gray.

Bob

------------------
    There is a fine line between fly fishing, and standing in the water waving a stick.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I guees I've been lucky. I've never had that type of experience. Of course, there are no Fly Shops anywhere close to here. There are no stores that carry much Fly-Fishing equipment or supplies. Except for my 2 Fly Rods, everything I have or get is all on-line or mail order. The only place around here that even sells any fishing or hunting equipment is at the bottom of Grassy Mountain. It's a small convieneince-type store run by one man and his wife. They sell bait, ammunition, some eats, and most of us here gather there at 5:00 am to drink coffee and talk about 'The Ones That Got Away'. Fly-Fishers are rare here. In fact, I believe I am the only one, and considered a bit odd.

"I fish....therefore, I am..."

+ Reply to Thread