+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any market for my handcrafted items?

Default Any market for my handcrafted items?

Sort of an "off the wall" question for you.

I am a "semi-professional" woodworker. By that I mean I get paid for my woodworking but it is not how I make my living. I have made a number of flyfishing related items that I think are top-notch. Fly boxes, landing nets, rod tubes, fly tying desks and benches, etc.

The problem is that I live in eastern South Dakota. Not exactly a "hot bed of fly fishing". Also, South Dakota isn't loaded with people with enough money to spend $40 on a wooden fly box just because it looks nice when the $6 fly box will hold flies just as well, or $80 on a rod tube when a $15 one will do the job.

So my question is...Is there a market out there for these types of "presentation quality" items? If so, how do you tap into it? I see similar items on the internet and at fly fishing shows. Does anybody really buy this stuff?

I'm not asking if any of you want to buy my stuff. I'm asking "How do you find the type of person who WILL buy this stuff because it is HIGH QUALITY, looks good, and, darn it, they think they are worth spending that kind of money on themselves?"

Thanks for any input. (Or am I just kidding myself?)

[This message has been edited by Royce (edited 17 March 2005).]

Royce,

Good question and I'll offer a very limited response because I am not a 'high end' buyer.

It would seem to me that the kind of buyers you seek read certain catalogs and frequent certain manufacturers or makers of high end products. They also base their purchases on reputations earned through word of mouth. Therefore, for fly boxes or rod cases you might touch base with certain rod makers or fly tyers who are renown for their work. Maybe they will agree to carry you product or show a sample. After years of building a reputation your products may develop their own following. Obviously, another thing you may do is advertise.

You've probably thought about the above and maybe someone has more ideas. Good luck.

Allan

check out your guild of craftsman,,become juried, then a lot of hight quality shows open up that you can attend.many upper end buyer will get to see your work... tyeflies , gave you a lot of good ideas ,,quality sells but not over night,,got to pay the dues....good luck

------------------
    make a rod, catch a fish

Royce,,don't limit your self to the fishing market,,most of the handcrafted products i made and sold never was used for the intended purpose...lol high end buyers just like quality products....and thy don't mind spending the bucks to get them.. show pieces for their friends etc

------------------
    make a rod, catch a fish

Hi Royce,

Try EBay. Being a fellow South Dakotan, I know what you are going through. On EBay, you can market to diferent markets based on how you list your item. For example, you can put a piece up for auction in the sporting goods and the collectors sections. You will have two completely different types of shoppers looking at your work.
    My two wheat pennies worth.

------------------
    Elliott W.

I tie flies to give the fish something to laugh about.
    Elliott

I tie flies so the fish have something to laugh about!

Blog Entries

yessir, I repeat what ilmbaba says strongly. It costs little or nothing to set up an eBay store and/or a website with photos etc. Then comes the marketing part.

Its like a store on a backstreet that no one can see from the main road. You have to put up signs directing people to it and that costs whatever you are willing/able to spend on it. But it could be fun!

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:772c3]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:772c3]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

If your stuff is indeed high end and high quality there is always a market. The dealers will carry your stuff in a heartbeat.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Hi Royce,

I would recommend that you rent a booth
    at a flyfishing show. Display your goods
    in an attractive manner. Put a business
    card in the hands of anyone that even looks
    in your direction. Keep a smile on your
    face and answer any questions up front and
    honestly. The first show the wife and I
    worked we all but sold out on the first day
    of a three day show. (not flyfishing) For
    several months after, we kept getting phone
    orders from folks that saw our craftsmanship
    and took a card. It works! We also offered
    custom finish or custom design and it worked
    well for us. Kept folks coming back after
    the shows for items with a twist of thier
    own.

At the shows, you don't have to undersell
    the other builders, but you do have to offer
    a product that stands out if you want to
    demand a premium. There is always a market
    for quality. Warm regards, Jim

You might consider talking to Rick at Oasis
    Tying Benches. (Check our Sponsor Page for his phone number.) Rick was/is also a teacher who had a love for wood and began building his tying benchs in his off time.
    It took a while, but he isn't teaching any more and his business is full time and doing well. I'm sure he would give you some good pointers.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Royce,
    I will echo what has already been suggested about Ebay. Take good pictures & don't try to get rich on individual sales...put out quality at a reasonable (not cheap) price & you'll do fine! Also, I agree with Jim Hatch on the "show" concept. In addition to that, LF's suggestion regarding Oasis is excellent...some very innovative stuff there!
    Personally, I would really like to see some pictures of your creations....if you're not comfortable with posting here, please shoot me an email (in my profile).
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread